Burger King

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mirepoix man, Oct 9, 2003.

1. mirepoix man

mirepoix man

Not sure if this is the right forum, but........

Rick Bayless and Burger King...what's up with that?

What's next? Bobby Flay and Arbys?

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Hey MP, how's it going?

Enlighten us please...?!?

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey, anything to make a buck!!!

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Personally I see Bobby Flay with McDonalds or Jack in the Box :D

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
  6. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I usually mute commercials 'cos they are so annoying. I saw Rick pop up on the tube so I unmuted and I was shocked that it was a BK commercial. The guy isn't hurting for cash that he needs to sell out to fast food... is he?

Jock

7. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks :confused: Suzanne. I just skimmed those 16 pages. UGH! I was kind of horrified when I read about this here, but after wading through all that self-righteous indignation, I almost feel sorry for the guy. (almost). I need an aspirin.

8. markv

markv

If I were as well known and respected as Bayless, I would be leary about being associated with Burger King.

However, if they're paying big enough bucks, maybe 7 figures for a series of commercials, and now he can retire a decade sooner or solidify his kids' financial future, I don't think you can really blame the guy.

9. ritafajita

ritafajita

I, too, skimmed those other pages. Didn't care too much for the attitude. For one thing, I didn't agree that people who go to Burger King don't know who Rick Bayless is. I go to Burger King. I go to Subway. I know those restaurants aren't the same thing as what Alice Waters has done. That doesn't mean I don't know who those people are or that I can't appreciate the difference. I'm not a fat, stupid American. But I am an American, and I am busy. Sometimes I just need to grab something to eat.

I'm not sure that it's Rick's fault that society has become that busy - or that we seemingly "need to go corporate" in order to survive. "Heck!" The last time I saw Eric Clapton, he was sponsored by a car company. Does that make his influence on music any less? Not in my mind.

What I do know, is that in my little po-dunk town, it is virtually impossible to survive without big corporate money. I survive, three plus years into my small business, out of being ornery more than anything else. I refuse to give up! Will I really ever get ahead with this attitude? Probably not. Do I value my accomplishments? Absolutely. Would I breathe a huge sigh of relief if someone with any amount of money, let alone Burger King, started paying attention to me tomorrow? Yes, totally. If that happened, I would have time to love food again.

Just thoughts,

RF

10. isa

isa

I almost choke on my apple when I saw it was a commercial. At first I thought it was an add for a new cooking show or some piece of equipement but Burger King??? Why????

11. markv

markv

Rita:

You Go Girl!

I love your attitude.

Mark

12. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey, it hasn't hurt his restaurants or his rep. considering the business his places are still doing, and **** $20,000-$40,000 for an afternoon's work. I'd sign up also if anyone wants me!! Most (not all, but most) of those self-righteous freaks would do the same if the offer was presented to them. They are just mad because it wasn't them making the easy money. Sorry but if I got an offer like that I wouldn't look at it as selling out, I'd look at it as another year of my kid's education I just paid for!!