Bulk pork sausage

Joined Oct 9, 2002
I just want to double check, but whenever I come across bulk pork sausage in a recipe, I assume breakfast sausage. Am I wrong in this?

Thanks!

Joined Oct 13, 2001
You could be right depending upon the recipe . I would use your favorite sausage and explore from there .

Joined Aug 4, 2000
May I suggest visiting a site called

ALLIEDKENCO.COM

They'll be able to answer your sausage making needs.

Joined May 8, 2002
When a recipes specifies bulk pork sausage, it's NOT breakfast sausage links, those little things you fry quickly and serve with eggs.

Bulk pork sausage usually comes in a one pound tube/roll, like Jimmy Dean, Western Beef, etc. You take the wrapping off, mush up the sausage and it's like chopped meat. Make meatballs, stuffing, etc. out of it.

Nor is it like sausage links, that you can buy in the meat section, usually around $3 a pound. They're maybe 3 inches long, use them to make sausage and peppers.

Joined Oct 9, 2002
Thanks vloglady...I've been using the large rolls of the breakfast sausage for recipes calling for bulk pork sausage but this time thought I'd get a second opinion. Mainly for stuffings and a nice twist on stuffed peppers from Emeril!

Joined May 8, 2002
I use the bulk pork sausage a lot in Scotch eggs, it's usually cheaper than the individual links. I suppose you could just take the casings off the regular links and use it, but why bother? Just get the big 'ole tube and it's ready to go. Even put a blob in your meatloaf mixture.

And at this time of year, the stores have the bulk sausage on sale, for stuffing. My pathmark just had the Jamestown brand on sale for .79 a pound.

Joined Oct 29, 2013
"Bulk sausage" is a broad term used for sausage packed without casings to be made in patties or fried up to be used like ground hamburger, pizza, lasagna, etc.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Most bulk sausage is pretty close to a breakfast link. Garlic, sage and such for seasonings. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom