Chef Forum banner

Bulk Cookie Prep

18K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Seoul Food 
#1 ·
I work in a bakery that does the majority of the product from scratch. To stay ahead we make our cookie dough, portion into dough balls and freeze for later use. My problem is that once baked the cookies aren’t spreading as they normally would. Any advice on how to proceed? Maybe pull thaw overnight and let sit room temp for an hour before baking?

#4 ·
Don't portion them out before freezing. Pull cookie dough out of the freezer and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then, before baking, let the dough sit on the counter for 1-2 hours. Portion it out at that time, then bake. Measure the internal temp of the cookie dough for consistency with future batches...

#8 ·
Is there a cookie cutter machine that cut shortbread cookie fast instead of rolling it out and use a round cookie cutter and put the leftover dough back together and roll and cut again over and over

I'm a bit OCD, I want every cookie in the exact clean round shape and thickness of 1/4 inch. The roll and cut take more time than making the dough itself ... Need a faster way to cut out shortbread cookies ... It won't be feasible because I won't be able to meet the demand when I get wholesale accounts

#10 ·
So our bakery does things a bit differently...we make our cookie doughs, bake off and then freeze the cookies. Each morning, we pull what we need for the day, thaw and wrap them for retail. Personally, I think your way of baking them fresh each day makes for a better product. Our way is kinda meh but it's (marginally) quicker and at the moment we're understaffed.

#14 ·
The downside to baking off the cookies and then freezing them is that 1) you truly do lose that fresh-baked taste and texture and 2) you have to be more careful freezing them to avoid breakage. When you freeze dough balls, that worry is eliminated. You don't really eliminate any steps by baking off first either, so really, there's zero advantage to doing it that way, unless perhaps if you have personnel that needs to open the store quickly and they don't know how to bake. That's probably the only "plus" to that method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.