Brunch Menu Ideas

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by john s, Oct 29, 2014.

1. john s

john s

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Ok so here goes, I've spent most of my day off today developing ideas for sandwiches for the restaurant. Done. Now my next "homework" task is to come up with some brunch ideas as we will hopefully be expanding our operating hours to include a service before dinner which starts at 4pm. For some background, it's an Italian restaurant with a contemporary feel (I'm working on bringing it up to the modern era lol) so most of the brunch offerings should at least be Italian inspired. So my question is, are there any professionals or home cooks with some tried and true winning brunch items that are creative and different? Just a shot in the dark here I guess, just would like to hear what the vibe is beyond the typical eggs Benedict, frittatas, etc. I have lots of menu creation experience but this brunch thing is completely new to me. Thanks in advance.

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Since I had some homemade bacon earlier today, it is on my mind. Would doing house made pancetta be feasible? Could be a nice selling point.

mjb.

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    When it comes to brunch, a signature dish can make you a neighborhood favorite.  I don't know how one would go about making brunch Italian-inspired, I don't believe that Italians even eat brunch.  Brunch is an american thing, stick to seasonal foods and good quality ingredients and you're golden.  I think it's a cool idea to make individually portioned french toast casseroles.  Easy to prep the day before and you could use left over Italian bread.

There is a pasta egg dish that could be considered italian.  I don't have an exact recipe but it uses left over spaghetti, mixed with an egg custard type mixture and then baked.  

Don't overthink it, just serve up some eggs and some bellinis and it will be fine.

4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Breakfast pasta, sweet Italian sausage, mushrooms, spinach or arugula, scallions, eggs beaten with cream finish with fresh grated parm.

I always used thin spaghetti for this, sold very well.

5. sicariix

sicariix

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    If you’re looking for a base to build off...

Try making French toast using ciabatta bread, you can flavor your eggs mixture by adding cheese, herbs, zest, just to compliment the dish.

Next make up a blueberry port reduction, or apple brandy reduction, whatever it may be to compliment the overall dish.

Next decide what textures and flavors you would like on that plate, apples, blueberries, oranges, pork, duck, bacon, foie gras again anything that is going to enhance and elevate this dish.

Then just garnish accordingly to your style and ambiance of the dish.

Most everybody likes french toast...but when you see french toast with orange/duck/bacon...People will be curious to try.

Good luck to ya

6. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like where your head is at @SicariiX! One of my favorite foie dishes to run is a french toast, with quail egg and macerated strawberries that I mix Demi into the pan jus with. A little bit of julienned frites and a knock of powdered sugar on the corner of the plate.

To get back on subject though if you wanna get wacky with it maybe you could work out a cappuccino crepe with prosciutto or perhaps a pancetta, fontina, and pequillo pepper torte. Also lemon ricotta pancakes are crazy fluffy and always sell well.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No, not everybody. I'd never order that. Nothing wrong with fancy of course but brunch is a very comforting experience, I like to stick to the basics.

I love the idea of the ricotta pancakes!!

8. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't like to eat sweet stuff in the morning but I would order some kind of quiche or savory strata or bread pudding with vegetables/eggs/cheese.

mikeswoods likes this.
  9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know you said "beyond the typical Eggs Benedict" but I keep thinking of an Italian inspired take on the Benedict with disks of polenta fried to a crispy outside and creamy interior, topped with sautéed spinach, a tomato fondue and poached eggs.

spoiledbroth likes this.
  10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What is a tomato fondue?? That sounds super interesting!

11. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Been on a road trip and eating our main meal during regular brunch hours.
    Have been seeing a lot of dishes twisted to include pumpkin and apples.
    Lots of cinnamon and maple as well as toasted walnuts.
    Learn to make a proper oatmeal.
    Add in could include dried fruits and nuts, maybe sweeten with maple or brown sugar.
    Panettone bread for reg (or French) toast.
    Whatever you decide on plz serve at the appropriate temp.

mimi

Had a huge pumpkin muffin with cheesecake filling.
    Made My Day.

m.

Don't forget your cocktail's !

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  12. colleens

colleens

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    My favorite authentic Italian restaurant serves a brunch with French Toast called "Pane Tostado" with orange whipped mascarpone.  Another item on their menu is lemon ricotta pancakes. 

13. sicariix

sicariix

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Yes most everybody except for Koukouvagia. Besides if you don't try it, how would you ever know if you liked it or not /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif  

Its our jobs as chefs to go out of the comfort zone and create something spectacular for our patrons, something that excites their palate to keep them coming back.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  14. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other
    Breakfast pizza.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  15. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Good choice !

I would make a Pandoro bread for that Italian flavour , skip the idea of it shaped like a frustum, have it in squares or other shapes, garnish with small pieces of pancetta , pecan, caramel , scoop of Colleen's orange mascarpone , garnish with fresh berries .

What about an upscale focaccia ?

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Bread pudding with panettone!

17. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think Kouk mentioned Bellini's. Just me, but I would incorporate an Aperitivo station. Prosecco, spumante, fragolino etc. with finger foods. Cheese, roasted chestnuts, flatbreads, bruchetta etc.

We Italians  like this type of thing to stimulate our appetites, but Americans seem to get full on it $$

colleens likes this.
  18. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Koukouvagia,

A tomato fondue can be slightly different things depending on the chef you work under, but usually, the basic idea is finely diced tomatoes (skin off) that are slow cooked down in butter, until it becomes thick, almost like a paste, but still somewhat chunky.

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hmm, I thought it was tomato cheese sauce. I wonder how to go about making something like that.

20. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    With tomatoes and cheese 😁 but seriously, I'm sure you could fold a ton of mozz or really any cheese into that tomato butter sauce until you have the fondue consistency you want. Maybe split the bitter with some cream to help bind?