Brownies - Pumped Up/Fell Flat. Rum & tart cherry flavor not there.

Joined Oct 23, 2017
I have 2 half sheet pans of nice rich brownies with toasted almonds, dark rum and dried tart cherries but the flavors just aren't coming thru in as rich a way as they have before. I just didn't put enough in. Is there anything I can do before I cut them up?

Was thinking to flip them onto parchment and make a light syrup of of rum, cherries with a touch of almond oil or extract which I would then paint or spray on the back and allow to gently seep in, chill and then cut into cubes. What say anyone about this idea? Help at all to improve the taste and not ruin the brownie? or is that a total waste of time and effort? It's just a brownie, but is' 8 dozen!!

Thanks for your help. And Merry Xmas!

Joined Feb 18, 2007
Make a ganache with some rum, coat the tops of the brownies and sprinkle chopped cherries and toasted almonds before the ganache sets. Or if you've already cut them, dip the tops in the ganache and sprinkle the cherries and almonds on.....

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Both ways will work. i like the first. The only different thing i would do is not to flip them. I'm not up on the chemistry,
but if the bottoms are wet they seem to sour quicker. oh, and for me personally, no extract. Blanch almonds with cherries.
If you just want to enhance instead of over-power, just dip a cheesecloth and lay over top.

Joined Oct 23, 2017
Make a ganache with some rum, coat the tops of the brownies and sprinkle chopped cherries and toasted almonds before the ganache sets. Or if you've already cut them, dip the tops in the ganache and sprinkle the cherries and almonds on.....
Ganache. Didn't think of it. Yes, of course. Thanks.

Joined Oct 23, 2017
Both ways will work. i like the first. The only different thing i would do is not to flip them. I'm not up on the chemistry,
but if the bottoms are wet they seem to sour quicker. oh, and for me personally, no extract. Blanch almonds with cherries.
If you just want to enhance instead of over-power, just dip a cheesecloth and lay over top.[/QUOTE

Not sure about the cheesecloth, that would ruin how the top looks but the ganache would make it look pretty for sure. completely didn't think of that. thanks!

Top Bottom