Brown paper bags

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I use parchment paper. Don't know what kind of treatment is on the brown paper bags!

Good question Svadhisthana.

;)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I don't know about parchement paper. Brown paper bags, as with most paper products, are treated with sulfur. I'm unsure if brown paper bags are a suitable substitute for parchement paper, however.

If brown paper bags outgassed sulfur, you'd probably smell it and your food would suffer.
BTW sulfur accounts partly for garlic's delicate perfume! <(;-)

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

Joined Oct 6, 2001
I currently use parchment paper but did use brown paper bags for this one bread recipe and for meringues. Never any problems.

From the environmentalist side; most brown paper bags are post consumer mix and they are chemically treated. The slick ones have all kinds of other goodies in them (never bake with them!)

I think I saw the program you were discussing - Use parchemnt (en papiollote method, but leave a corner open

Good luck!

lynne

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Interesting post, Michael Chiarello prepared Lemon Baked Sea Bass with Spinach Salad on his tv show Season By Season, by cooking the fish in brown paper bags with the restaurant name printed on the bags. Had wondered at the time if the printing on the bag would leak through to the food.

Here is the recipe, pic:
http://www.seasonbyseason.com/recipe..._sea_bass.html

"...If the idea of folding parchment paper into baking containers intimidates you, use aluminum foil lined with waxed paper or even a paper bag, folded over like a school lunch bag..."

Joined May 6, 2001
I have used brown paper "lunch" bags to bake in. I rub olive oil on the entire surface, place the food inside, and then fold over the bag and bake on a tray. My question is: are the brown paper bags you buy at the store "food safe"? Would I be better off using parchment paper? I saw this technique durring an interview with the sureal gourmet. Just curious. TIA. :confused:

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Our girls at the sorority house make popcorn in the microwave in brown paper bags. That's an interesting tidbit about the sulfur smell, Kokopuffs. :eek:

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Whoa, Pastachef. That's a good way for the girls to burn down the house. Paper and straw (such as baskets are made of) should not be used in a microwave for that length of time! If they're making large batches, it's even worse, as the bigger the batch, the longer the bag will be in the oven and in danger of catching. :eek:

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Really Mezz??? They've been doing it for years and it was started by a house director back when fat free cooking was popular. They only put a handful of kernels in a bag with no oil. Would that make a difference? There has never been a spark. I will take your advice and post signs near the microwaves about it. How about the white bags? Thank you for alerting me to the possible dangers!

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Pastachef ]

Joined Apr 24, 2001
I thought I read somewhere that parchment paper is also treated with sulfur. And that that's what makes them so strong and usable in the oven. And as far as we know, parchment is indispensible.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Pastachef, your experience counts for more than my advice, which was based on something I read some time ago. If it hasn't caused a problem to pop in paper bags, then it isn't a problem! Enjoy that popcorn, and have a handful on my behalf.

Joined May 6, 2001
Mezzaluna, Pastachef,
I have brown paper bags for popcorn too. 1/4 cup of kernels, 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp popcorn salt (or kosher). Fold over the top staple twice and nuke for 2 minutes. I got the "recipe" from Good Eats. No problems, even with the staples.

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Mezzaluna and Svadhisthana, Thank you both for your advice. I still think it's good to be alert to any possible dangers with all of those kids at the sorority. I do all that I can to keep them safe and healthy :) I'll let them still 'pop', but tell them to never leave the microwave until it's done.

Joined Nov 19, 1999
No, Svadhistana, but I feel like they are all my kids. There is a very affectionate bond between them and the staff. Especially with the one who does the feeding :)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Most paper processing involves the use of sulfur compounds. Those sulfur compounds account for the reason why paper turns yellow with age. :cool:

Top Bottom