Bron: New and Improved?

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I often re-read old Equipment Forum threads, and I found myself heading to those on the "mandoline". I've just recently started to use mine more often, trying to perfect techniques on my older Bron (with all-steel blades) and to use my Japanese model a little less often.

Apparently, there is a new model...or rather, a new flat cutting blade, incorporated into the standard Professional model, with a welded second blade on top added, and this new cutting blade makes some cuts harder to do. In some of the cuts, the food gets jammed in between the two blades, and this new blade is the cause.

I wonder if any Bron users have experienced this problem; I have the older Bron cutting blade and don't even know when this new two-part cutting blade first appeared! I'd hate to think that my high recommendations for the Bron are for a model that is no longer sold, and that people have been encouraged to buy a model that is no longer so good!

It would make the cheaper Japanese models a lot more attractive as a choice, waffle cut or no waffle cut! Anyone out there got experience with this new two-piece flat cutting blade?

Jim, I know you've used yours to death! Did you finally have to replace your Bron and if so, did you replace it with another Bron or a cheaper model? Have you heard anything about this new Bron blade? It doesn't even appear on their website!

Joined Oct 28, 1999
I did, unfortunately, have to purchase another mandoline. Lucky for me, I picked up one of the older models in great shape. I had the blades sharpened ($15 from the local knife guy) and it works great. I did make the mistake of using the newer version, with the dual blades that you mention and hated it. I would gladly purchase another man***turer's model if the dual-blade was the only one I had from Bron. A shame, really, since the Bron Mandoline has always been the mandoline.
I have seen several of the older mandolines on eBay going for reasonable prices. Also, check out some restaurant supply stores for the older model. I have to agree with you that the newer version has a 'vision' that does not jive with 'function.'

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Jim,

Thank you so much for your answer.

Now, for everyone's benefit, and since Bron wholesaler swears up and down that the blades are an actual improvement -- statement with which we both seem to disagree-- would you care to share your thoughts on just WHY this model of blade works less well?

Is this problem wide-spread and well known among professional chefs?

Lastly, do you remember just when you first saw or heard of the new model? :confused:

As it is, I cannot endorse this product any longer! :(

Joined Mar 13, 2001
C'mon guys!!

Surely someone ELSE out there, other than Jim, has experiences
with the Bron mandoline...new blade or old. (nasty cuts excluded!)

Fingers tapping with impatience.....be good and share!!:bounce:

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Kimmie,
Maybe we are the only 2 Mandoline users! Yikes!?!? By the way, my equipment service guy said he has had requests to retro-fit the new blade set-up with the older style. He hasn't had much luck in being able to it, though. Go figure.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, the Chef and the Foodie! :lol:

What do you mean by "hasn't had much luck..."? Does that mean the older blade does not easily mount on the frame or that Bron is unwilling to supply him with a stash of older blades?

I bet it's the latter! [sigh] :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Top Bottom