Broken Alfredo Sauce?

Joined Dec 30, 2015
I'm bringing a crock pot full of fettuccine Alfredo to a neighborhood party tomorrow. I've made this recipe many times with no problems. Although it is likely to be eaten the first hour, it may have to sit in a crock pot for 2-3 hours.

I thought it would be a good idea to search Alfredo here. I found lots of posts, and now I am more confused than ever. There is lots talk of the sauce breaking. My Alfredo has never broken. Now I'm a little nervous because I've never kept it in a crock pot either.

The Alfredo recipe is an Americanized version with 4 cups of heavy cream (for which I have always substituted half and half), a cup of European butter, freshly grated imported Reggiano, and a touch of garlic and nutmeg; pasta water if needed.

I realize I didn't leave enough time for replies, but if you see this, is there anything I should keep in mind?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi drirene.

If the heat source is gentle, the Alfredo should remain good and not "break" for the predicted 2-3 hours. The problem you are going to face rather than the sauce breaking is the Alfredo sauce stiffening if its not kept moist and gently heated. Just retain a few cups of the pasta water and re-hydrate as needed. You should be fine.

Good luck. :)

Joined Sep 26, 2017
How do you thicken your sauce? Just by reducing it?

If that's the case, you can use some milk powder to help emulsify the finished sauce.

You can also whisk in some Dijon mustard; but using just enough without letting its flavour show is a bit difficult to achieve.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Pat Pat,
I hardly reduce the cream at all. It is brought to a simmer for 8 minutes. Then the 3 cups of cheese thickens it as does the starch while it sits. If anything, I may have to loosen it.

The Dijon idea is interesting even though I'm a "purist" type. Kind of like salt in a sweet to heighten the flavor I imagine. I'll try it in a small amount of the pasta.

Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
If you are wanting to hold this for so long, I would really consider adding some starch to this. I would probably use a roux, whisked into your cream. This will give you some insurance against breaking. But you will also will want to make sure that your heat source is not too hot. You could do everything in your power to keep it from breaking but if it sits at a near boil for 2 hours the cheese in that sauce will eventually break and curdle.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Just a suggestion, but, what about making a sauce that's a little more sturdy and amenable to being transported and continuously heated? Perhaps a traditional tomato sauce or a herb/butter sauce?

Just throwing out some ideas. Alfredo is one of those sauces that really should be eaten asap after it has been made. Perhaps you could make it on site with a portable burner??

Cheers! :)

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Just a suggestion, but, what about making a sauce that's a little more sturdy and amenable to being transported and continuously heated? Perhaps a traditional tomato sauce or a herb/butter sauce?

Just throwing out some ideas. Alfredo is one of those sauces that really should be eaten asap after it has been made. Perhaps you could make it on site with a portable burner??

Cheers! :)
Can't do that sgsvirgil. The food has to arrive done; complete with serving utensil. My hostess was looking forward to Alfredo so that was that.

In any case, I took your original advice and chanced it on the original, unstabalized recipe. It worked out very well. It was gone in under an hour and got lots of compliments.

Thank you for all your input Chefs; I appreciate it. My anxiety was less than it would have ordinarily been. I never cease to work myself up when cooking for others. If I had to cook for a living I would probably be living on Xanax. Ugh!

IMG_9552.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom