Broiling Woes... advice on even broiling (black cod)??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by drew4392, Oct 30, 2017.

1. drew4392

drew4392

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi Everyone,

Trying to broil black cod EVENLY.

When broiling two pieces, side-by-side, it is usually okay.

I am having trouble broiling four pieces. Some get completely charred, and others barely get brown.

The top-to-bottom line is the broiler heating element... the "x"s are the fish

Is this the best layout?

l
    l
    x l x
    l
    x l x
    l
    l

Or...

l
    l
    l
    x x l x x
    l
    l
    l

Or...

l
    l
    x
    x
    x
    x
    l
    l

Thanks, all!!

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    The last set up, of course, is ideal.

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Most home ovens have only the one strip heat source on top making it a pita to broil.
    Try making it into a sort of salamander by getting the box hot (you may even have to use reg controls as well as top source depending on the size in there) .
    Then set the racks down a bit and go for that straight radiant area below the top flame.
    Works for me ...
    mimi

4. drew4392

drew4392

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks, Pat and Mimi.

Mimi-- would love a salamander, and if I can make what i have a little more efficient, I'm all for it.

I do let the oven pre-heat when on broiling mode.

What do you mean by reg controls? I think in broil mode, the only control is low or high (broiling flame).

I'll definitely try and find a baking sheet that is sized in a way that allows me to get all the pieces of fish in a line under the heating element.

Thanks

5. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Look for a display tray/platter. It's usually long and narrow compared to a baking sheet.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I really really hate broiling! Maybe my Bosch does not have a good enough broiler but wow all the broiled food I've had has come out bad. If you're having a hard time getting good results then why waste the energy? Either pan sear or you could even use a blow torch.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  7. drew4392

drew4392

Exp:
    At home cook
    I hope the reason I hate broiling is because I am doing it wrong, and that I have a crappy broiler in my oven. But... broiling isn't that hard... so I may be a glutton for punishment.

Blow torch is a great idea. I may resort to this. Thanks for the tip.

8. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    look for a separate unit to broil. my $50 black and decker mini-oven can broil only and it is small enough where have 2 rows of elements is ok. for beef and pork, I usually do 2 minutes a side in smokin hot cast iron skillet then finish in oven

flipflopgirl likes this.
  9. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You could also rotate the pan halfway through...

10. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Blowtorch browns but doesn't cook. Broiler cooks and browns, and a good one is very versatile.

If the black cod you are broiling is the famous miso one, torching it doesn't taste as good as broiling for some reason.

11. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I didn't finish my thought... sorry 'bout that @drew4392 .
    Old habit.
    Read my mind o_O...
    I preheat the oven on max temp and flip the convection switch and let 'er rip.
    Most residential ovens that have the feature are only forcing air straight out the door (mine was first gen so maybe things have improved) so keep it shut tighter than a ...... :eek:
    A waste of BTUs but when needing a pizza stone at blazing heat is a nice time saver.

mimi

OBTW...I cook a bit of fish now and again and am of the opinion that a bark on fish is way overrated.
    Infuse some butter and wine with twig or two of something nice then pan baste.
    Orgasmic...

m.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  12. drew4392

drew4392

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ha!!
    Sounds convincing, and I'll try it on the next go-around. As Pat Pat guessed, it is the miso variation, and I've found it is much more enjoyable when browned/charred. Probably the caramelization of the miso/sugar marinade. They get finished on oven mode, and continue to cook through afterwards.

I really might do this... so much easier with multiple heating elements, compared to this one central broiler on a residential oven.

Good to know, thanks. Sticking to figuring out how best to use this broiler, or I'll resort to Scott's advice.

Normally, I wouldn't sweat it, but I'm making four filets and making sure each is solid and comes out perfect is the stressful part. I need better equipment..... :)

13. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    First of all, oven broilers vary a lot, so unfortunately there is no right answer. Blowtorches produce a slightly wet heat, which is why they can be finicky for this kind of application.

I suggest you try three things.

1. Put the fish further from the flame and let it broil a little slower. Japanese chefs, who are masters at broiling fish, say the heat should be "distant and intense."

2. Apply a small amount of oil to the surface right before broiling. This helps transmit the heat evenly across the surface.

3. See what happens if you leave the oven door cracked open. Many stoves (especially electrics but not exclusively) have temperature sensors that will shut off the broiler element if they get too hot, and since heat rises, a closed door can lead to the element going on and off, messing up your cooking.

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Beware as some home ovens automatically turn off the broiler when the door is open.

15. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    *** ANY HYDROCARBON FUEL***

Propane, butane, natural gas, it doesn't matter. Oxidation reaction of a hydrocarbon creates CO2 and H20. The only heat sources that do not make water vapor are pure carbon (coal) or electric.

16. drew4392

drew4392

Exp:
    At home cook
    Like the idea about lowering the food and playing it safe. The progress will be slower, and allow me to correct when needed.

Admittedly, I did not know this and glad you mentioned it. Ugh. Another reason I should probably invest in a small, smart oven type of thing, with multiple electric heating elements.

17. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Not so much about playing it safe, actually. Really well broiled fish in Japan is often cooked quite a while. You get better char and juicy flesh. In my experience, Japanese style broiled fish should not be rare: it should almost sizzle on the inside, and the fat next to the skin should not only sizzle but actually smoke a bit while broiling.