Brioche

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
As you all know by now I made some brioche. They turned out very well. They had a nice head, great colour, the texture inside was great. I served them at breakfast this morning to friends and they all liked it but I did not. The brioche had a faint yeast smell but did not have a yeast taste when you ate it. I’m at lost to understand what could have cause that, could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks

[ 02-11-2001: Message edited by: Sisi ]

Joined May 29, 1999
What displeased you? the lack of yeast flavor or the aroma of yeast?
for the best flavor, proof times must be long and gentle. knock back the dough at least once during the proof time and allow to double twice.
got to love that brioche! :cool:

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
M. Brown,

Thanks for the advice. I would prefer if the brioche did not smell like yeast. It's all I can smell and I really don't care for that smell.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Mary,

I always use the same brand of yeast, Fleishman, it's the only brand available here. Some grocers have a store brand but I prefer to stick with a product I know.

Thanks for the tip on the article in Cook's Illustrated, I'll be sure to buy it.

One thing I forgot to mention, the yeast I used for the brioche expired on January 28 2001. It proofed all right and the sponge was fine. The dough rised fine. Do you think if you have caused the yeast smell?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thanks again Mary. It really sound like a fascinating article. Woud never have thought different yeast would lend a different taste to the finish product.

Joined Dec 30, 1999
iza,

the more you cook and the more experience you gain, the more you'll notice just how important every ingredient you use is and what a difference "the best" ingredients can make! :)

Joined Jan 1, 2001
I love SAF yeast. It's the only one I use. I love eliminating that annoying 1st proof of the yeast when making bread and the taste is much better. Anything to get me closer to hot fresh bread and jam!

Joined May 29, 1999
I make brioche several times a week and this is how I do it, now granted I make one for (chile pepper)curtons and the other for bread pudding!

Start with Active dry yeast, make a sponge with 3Tbl flour, 2 Tbl Yeast, 2 Tbl granulated sugar and 1/2 cup warm milk and 3 Tbl warm water.

let that go on top of the oven for 1/2 hour. Then add 10 room temp extra large eggs, rest of the flour 7-8 cups and 1 Tbl salt. develope for 15 min then add chopped up butter, 1/2 # and develope until it looks like slik. Proof until double, knead, form and proof until double again then bake 350 -375 for 1/2 hour to 45 min.
The original formula called for a full pound of butter, and a double proof before forming, so when makeing brioche for eating, go for the extra butter and extra time.
:D

[ February 22, 2001: Message edited by: m brown ]

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
What is SAF yeast?

M. Brown thanks for your recipe, I'll give it a try this weekend.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Crudeau,

Thanks for your help, I thought it was a kind of yeast not a brand. Unfortunatly, there is no listing for stores in Canada.

I am seriously considering a little grocery shopping trip to Vermont...

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Crudeau,

Already thought of it. :) Didn't think of mentionning it before. Hope I'll be able to find it around here.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Crudeau,

I got a reply from SAF earlier today, They said:

Currently, we do not have distribution in Canada. You can buy SAF Perfect
Rise Gourmet Yeast at cooking.com.

Top Bottom