Breast up or breast down?

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You talking in the oven or the grill? For bbq I cook it over the coals split in halves with the breast down and never turn it, turns out beautiful golden color and juicy.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
In the oven I start with the back up for most of the cooking. Depending on the size of the bird, it may get rolled on each side as well for a short bit. Then finish breast up.

Joined Jul 28, 2006
As with many other things,  it becomes a matter of individual preference.  In our house we all like the breast skin nicely brown,  but no one is fussy about the bottom of the bird.  So I plunk it into the pan breast up, lid on, for the entire time. Everyone's happy. 

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Start back up, cook about two-thirds of the way to done; turn and finish the last third breast up. 

BDL

Last edited:
Joined Jan 27, 2010
As with many other things,  it becomes a matter of individual preference.  In our house we all like the breast skin nicely brown,  but no one is fussy about the bottom of the bird.  So I plunk it into the pan breast up, lid on, for the entire time. Everyone's happy. 
I'll just add some to grace reply. It all cooks the meat well together with a nicely brown or crispy brown skin when the breast is up. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom