Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Supper -- what are you cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Aug 25, 2010
tonight was pan-fried chonch....pounded like veal ...llightly dusted with flour....S&P..in a med-hot pan w/olive oil..up to high!!! and just BEFORE it starts to smoke...FLASH IT! with a decent balsamic.....Man that was good!!!!..5 mins and sooo easy.....first did this around 1989 in our sailboat Da ja Vu off of Great Gunua in the Abacos-Bahamas

Joined Jun 16, 2007
Today was steak, ...with all the flavors....on top is a diamond of sauted mushrooms (micro chop) done in truffle oil and  the orange part is a cantaloup salad (micro chop) , sauce, a demi with red wine, the green under the mushroom mix is a salad called Mache which I cooked up like spinach only Mache is a sweet lettuce. Big day today....many plates. Just thought i would share.....
You are an artist as well as a chef. My humble opinion.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 9, 2010
Wow !!! Everyone is displaying such great artistry!

I on the other hand ....bought 10# ground beef and made #1 son lasagna, bolagnaise sauce and spicy chili .....some homeade bread....also a whole roasted chicken, garlic mash potatoes...and a big box of chocolate chip cookies. (Good filler guy food)...He moved out on his own a month ago and called me just to say he loved me and wanted some recipes attached to some food ....what could I say ...I also bought him a George Forman grill and threw in some steaks and ......essentails.....Oh that son of mine!

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Southern style grilled BBQ Ribs

Marinated in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and home made hot pepper vinegar with jalpeno and habenero peppers

Pan fried okra

Yellow corn seasoned with creol and crushed red pepper.

Sweet Tea

Chocolate chip cookies

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Wow !!! Everyone is displaying such great artistry!

I on the other hand ....bought 10# ground beef and made #1 son lasagna, bolagnaise sauce and spicy chili .....some homeade bread....also a whole roasted chicken, garlic mash potatoes...and a big box of chocolate chip cookies. (Good filler guy food)...He moved out on his own a month ago and called me just to say he loved me and wanted some recipes attached to some food ....what could I say ...I also bought him a George Forman grill and threw in some steaks and ......essentails.....Oh that son of mine!
Gypsy - he is spoiled rotten!  Good on you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif   I reckon I'll probably do the same in a few years for #1 daughter then #1 son.  I love it but have an internal chuckle when they say "Mum, I love you".  Because you know what's coming - they want something badly!

Think tonight we'll just go easy, it's cold still here but first day of spring at last.  Grab some chicken, portion it, roast it off with some spices and potatoes, maybe green beans and slaw.  Yeah, that'll do :)

Joined Mar 9, 2010
Gypsy - he is spoiled rotten!  Good on you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif   I reckon I'll probably do the same in a few years for #1 daughter then #1 son.  I love it but have an internal chuckle when they say "Mum, I love you".  Because you know what's coming - they want something badly!

Think tonight we'll just go easy, it's cold still here but first day of spring at last.  Grab some chicken, portion it, roast it off with some spices and potatoes, maybe green beans and slaw.  Yeah, that'll do :)
Sunshine your so right.....I spoilled him too much. He will never use those recipes  (anytime soon) but I know he appreciates my gestures of food ....I was cooking all day! Oh he loved everything because he spends his money on other things and forgets he has to EAT!  My daughter on the other hand is actually curious about cooking ...but nothing heavy like I made my son! ..Anyhow ..when you get the call ..it's as you said " I love you " ...and your always waiting for the end of that conversation. They love us ...we call them all the time and they take so long to call back ...no news is good news !

They are exploring the world and my door is always open...I do what I can...I'll cook till I drop when it comes to my girl and boy . 

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Sunshine your so right.....I spoilled him too much. He will never use those recipes  (anytime soon) but I know he appreciates my gestures of food ....I was cooking all day! Oh he loved everything because he spends his money on other things and forgets he has to EAT!  My daughter on the other hand is actually curious about cooking ...but nothing heavy like I made my son! ..Anyhow ..when you get the call ..it's as you said " I love you " ...and your always waiting for the end of that conversation. They love us ...we call them all the time and they take so long to call back ...no news is good news !

They are exploring the world and my door is always open...I do what I can...I'll cook till I drop when it comes to my girl and boy . 
Kids know us all too well don't they?  And how to press the right buttons to get what they want.  But we only have them once, so...you know what I mean, I can see. No news is good news - I was like that in my 20s (way back when) I know where they're at.  Hey, get him to make *you dinner on his new GF grill one night /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif   But offer to bring something edible to go with it, nice big dessert or something like. 

Let's see, for tucker tonight, we have a spicy oriental pork fillet stir fry icluding chillis, celery, bok choy, onions, garlic - all the usual suspects.  Either on steamed rice or egg noodles with a refresher of watermelon, rockmelon, honeydew melon after.  Prob a sparkling white win to go with, nothing fancy.  Then no dessert as such, cheese platter with crackers and strawberries and some tawny port.  Then crash into bed after a very long week.

Tommorrow is eat from the freezer and leftovers day I reckon - and others can wash up!

Joined Aug 25, 2009
This is dessert for tomorrow- I just finished doing a bunch up (they are now in the fridge) and was deciding what to do with plating, Pot de creme au chocolat with grand marnier, nothing special, just sharing. Just before plating tomorrow it will have a the finishing touches.

Reactions:
Joined Aug 25, 2009
Dcarch....

You always amaze me with your cooking style. Just wonderful.

For the past couple of days I have been planning a nice meal with my parents and some close friends of theirs. The menu I planned was posted on Facebook and I managed to come through with the menu....so here it is in short form.

Tonight for my father and mother and another couple who are close to them I decided to make a menu that would appeal to the flavors of my father's palate. That being said I made the following;

Homemade pates and crackers (posted in another thread), ambrosia spiced fruit reduction (coconut, apples, pineapple, raisins and spices ) to serve with double brie , corinth grapes...etc.

Pinot Grigio (Barefoot – which won a gold)

Apps; Shrimp and avocado salad, Med. Salad , wild mushroom soup with thyme and white wine and truffle oil.

Vina Esmeralda Torres (nice with seafood)

Passion fruit sorbert

Vin D'alsace Willm – Pinot gris

Haddock with 3 pepper and dill sauce with parsley and cream , white wine, roe and capers, flowered buttered beets and carrots and a sprig of thyme.

Dessert was ; Pot au Chocolat with Grand Marnier, topped with a lace of 35% cream , a square of dark chocolate with red peppercorns , a chocolate dipped cherry au brandy, candied rose petals, and abricot mousse with a coulis of abricot reduction and spearamint leaves and 3 balls of cantaloup. Black tea with a baton of crystallized sugar , cinnamon stick.

I made the flower arrangement, and decorated the table as usual.

It was a great evening....but as I served everything I thought of all of you......how maybe you would be happy letting me cook for you. Would you even like it ? For some of you …I knew I might even be pleasing your palate, I took a few pics wanting to share.

Like my friends before me....a passion, a true passion.....all inspire me.

I count you all as my friends and I wished we were all together tonight to celebrate our friendship.

Just wanted you all to know that I thought of you all.......and wished you were here at my table , my friends, mes grands amis .

You inspire me to be better at the thing I love the most.....the art of cooking.

Que la vie est belle avec toi.

Reactions:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Nice.  Very nice.  Had I done it, I would have cropped out the soda can in that one shot of the table.

That shrimp and avocado salad looks like something I might try in the near future.  Well, it ALL looked good, the salad just happens to be something that might fit in well with what I have already planned for sunday's dinner.

mjb.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Well it has been around since 2007 and we are going to close this one down. We will be starting new fresher threads around this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom