Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Supper -- what are you cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Nov 5, 2007
I'll admit I too enjoy looking at pictures of food.  Usually I don't bother taking photos of what I prepare unless it is for a recipe web page or a response to some Chef Talk topic or such.

Tonight's dinner was omelets.  I had planned on grilling some pork chops, making some macaroni and cheese, a basic lettuce salad on the side.  But my wife changed her plans so instead of an hour or so I had about 15 minutes.  So I whipped up the omelets, fairly simple mushroom and cheddar topped with a bit of sour cream, black olives and a mild salsa.  Well, mine had onions, garlic and Pickapeppa sauce, a little more zing than hers.

I thought mine was good, she thought hers was one of the best she's ever had.  Guess I should have taken a picture!

mjb.

Joined Jul 28, 2006
Blanched asparagus,  and pressure-steamed potatoes made into potato salad.  I don't like meat when it's this hot, so just the veggies.  I'm happy! 

Joined Jun 16, 2007
Well, this turned out to be good.

I put some butter, fresh lemon peel, garlic, green peppercorns and black peppercorns into a small saucepan. It was mostly butter, to put on corn on the cob. I cooked it on low heat. I added some Penzey's "pasta sprinkle" and ground ancho chile after the garlic started to soften, and then I let it sit off the heat as the corn cooked. When the corn was done, I put this butter and seasoning mixture on. it Yum. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited:
Joined Jun 16, 2007
My inspiration for this was the roasted corn on the cob I had in India, with lime juice, salt, and ground red chiles.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 28, 2006
I have seen similar thread in other forums. Almost everyone posts pictures.

Why so few post pictures of their meals here?

dcarch
I don't post photos because I don't know how.  Maybe that's a good thing, though, because I'd be posting pics all the time. 

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Fairly simple dinner tonight - pork loin ribs grilled, corn on the cob as well:

Low res phone photo, sorry.

The ribs got a light dusting of my rub, cooked for about an hour with indirect heat.  The corn was soaked in salted water for a few hours then grilled over direct heat, turning often.  By the time the outer husks get dry and scorched he corn should be well steamed and have a nice roasted flavor to it.

mjb.

mjb.

Joined Jun 28, 2010
I will post one:

I have been having a steady supply of wonderful tomatoes since Memorial Day. I harvested a couple of pounds of LGS (Lime Green Salad) today and had a nice cool salad of mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Also Yukon Gold potatoes.

For those of you who have not grown LGS before, I highly recommend it. It is what is known as GWR (Green-When-Ripe) tomatoes. Beautiful petite plants, about 18 to 20" tall requiring no staking, produces early abundant harvests of luscious tangy-sweet 3 to 4 oz. round fruits which literally burst with intricate, sweet refreshing citrusy flavors. The flesh inside is a stunning chartreuse, juicy...the flavor lingers. Memorable.

I love it when I serve LGS to friends,” Are you sure they are ripe? They are still green! Oh WOW! They are delicious!”

dcarch

Joined Jul 6, 2010
We can't deny it that people love to talk about food... no wonder this thread makes it to page 50. :)

Okay my turn, just an ordinary dinner, my mom brought broccoli and i still find beef in the fridge so I'm thinking of preparing beef with broccoli for our next meal. :)

Joined Mar 9, 2010
spanokopita filled with dandelion greens and mint from the back-yard and real Greek feta .....and that's lunch

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Tonight... fried chicken, corn on the cob, mac and cheese salad, coleslaw and biscuits...  One of the guys at work mentioned fried chicken and that gave me a craving for it... I haven't made fried chicken in at least a year.  Needless to say I'm looking forward to dinner.

Joined Jun 16, 2007
I will post one:

I have been having a steady supply of wonderful tomatoes since Memorial Day. I harvested a couple of pounds of LGS (Lime Green Salad) today and had a nice cool salad of mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Also Yukon Gold potatoes.

For those of you who have not grown LGS before, I highly recommend it. It is what is known as GWR (Green-When-Ripe) tomatoes. Beautiful petite plants, about 18 to 20" tall requiring no staking, produces early abundant harvests of luscious tangy-sweet 3 to 4 oz. round fruits which literally burst with intricate, sweet refreshing citrusy flavors. The flesh inside is a stunning chartreuse, juicy...the flavor lingers. Memorable.

I love it when I serve LGS to friends,” Are you sure they are ripe? They are still green! Oh WOW! They are delicious!”

dcarch

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I'm not sure about tonight's dinner... my son wants (ugh) Hamburger Helper.  I've never liked the stuff and neither does my daughter.  My husband is very good at cooking if it comes out of a box or can or a frozen package and when she and I are at work on the weekends that's what he makes for the two of them for lunch.  She's at oma's for the week so we've been having dinners that he likes and she's not a fan of.  But hburg helper... I don't think so! 

I have leftover coleslaw and mac and cheese salad from last night so I'm thinking I might just do a simple grilled steak and make a tossed salad to go with the other cold sides I already have.  The boys can have hburg helper on Sunday when we're at work!

Joined Feb 26, 2007
I think we are going to do hamburgers with heated potato crisps and a fruit plate of watermelon, rockmelon, orange sections and strawberries - have had enough of being creative this week.  Have had visitors from interstate and it wears you down, as much as it is enjoyable,  I'm knackered hehe.

J

justin thomas

Work days:

Breakfast: Plain omelette swimming in butter, Bacon, half an english muffin.

Lunch: Coffee, cigarettes

Dinner: ugh... another sandwich...

Day off:

Chicken stock, so I have an excuse to cut big piles of vegetables into little pieces, and practice not mangling chickens.

Request or random dish, preferably using the stock I just made.  It usually turns out to be something provencal.

Last day off: Shaved fennel and apple salad (copied from Charlie Trotter cookbook).  Blue-eye fillets stuffed with olive tapenade with sauted veg and fries (still cleaning up the oil),  Apple custard with crumbled walnut praline.

Joined Jul 28, 2006
It's too hot to cook today. So I made sashimi.

dcarch

Showoff!  LOL!  I made country style noodles, then pressure steamed shrimp and broccoli to go with them.  Not nearly so fancy,  but tasty anyway. 

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
That sashimi platter looks really nice.  I, too, did some fish for dinner.  One of the local markets had some decent looking steelhead [ Looks a lot like salmon, tastes a lot like salmon but is an ocean going trout ]  on sale for 6 bucks a pound.  Got about a 1 pound chunk, lightly fried in butter and olive oil.  Made a garlic dill cream sauce for it.  The sauce was a bit too salty, brain fade on my part, but was quite flavorful.  Very enjoyable.

mjb.

PS:  I did slice off a sliver or two of the raw fish for taste testing with a little soy.  I could have eaten the whole thing that way, but my wife likes hers cooked.  She got the thin end, I got the thick part that was still a tad raw in the middle.  Yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom