Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Supper -- what are you cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Aug 29, 2000
Please save me a place at your table, Ishbel! Neeps- mmmm....

Last night I made pork in mustard sauce. (Anyone have a better name for this dish?) Maybe we'll do hot dogs another night, Suzanne, to atone for the pork dinner. ;)

Cut pork tenderloin into slices, pounded a bit, seasoned with salt and pepper. I dusted them lightly with flour and browned them. After removing the pork I added white wine and chicken stock to the pan and deglazed it. I returned the pork to the pan and left the heat on low (my husband was a bit delayed in coming home from work). Later I took the pork out again and covered it, stirred into the pan a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and a tablespoon of grainy mustard (Boetje's from Rock Island, Delta Doc!). I let it reduce a bit, then added a couple of tablespoons of half-and-half. Put the meat on a serving platter, sauced it and dug in. :lips: Leftovers will be my lunch today.

Steamed broccoli on the side; no starch for dinner at our house usually.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Leftovers?!?!? You had leftovers?!?!?!?!

Not if I'd been around. That sounds great, especially if you called it "porc a la moutarde."

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I committed some more culinary heresy. I was in the mood for souvlaki, but all I could find in my freezer were pork shoulders. So I cut that in large chunks, browned and braised them with oregano, garlic and lemon(chix stock mostly, but the flavorings are the focus). Let them cool some and threaded them on skewers for a quick grill for color and flavor while the braising left them tender. Not true to the dish but pretty good anyway.

Had lemon rice pilaf, some carrots and some pita with olive oil and zaatar.

Phil

Joined Nov 20, 2006
It's 20 degrees (that's cold for California) so I'll serve:

Steaming bowls of Peppy Pork Soup (navy beans, pork, mild green chilis, etc.)
Cheesy Corn Bread
Creamed lettuce salad with Mandarin oranges
Warm tapioca pudding for desert
Hot coffee

Simple fare, to be sure, but it warms the tummy.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Yes, Castironchef, I did. I first learned to cook from my Jewish mother. We made meals for six which, in many other households would serve 8-10. We have no children, so I cook for the two of us. It's a constant struggle to restrain myself from continuing to cook like that! If I don't have leftovers, I feel like I didn't cook enough. :crazy:

Joined Jun 27, 2006
Last Night?

London Broil with a Chianti Mushroom sauce, au gratin potatoes and early june peas in butter.

Tonight???? Heluva good question.:lol: Still have to make the trip to the Market yet. Then again there's the good old standby Pasta Fragiole. Never go wrong with that. :D

Since we just turned cold here in Virginia...Tomorrow will/might be braised pork spare ribs with sweet and sour red cabbage and spaetzel and Thursdays menu to celebrate the sale of our home will be braised lamb shanks with kalamata olive and vegetable ragout (might try to sneak in some fennel in this one) with mashed potatoes and a bottle of 1985 IL Caggio Riserva Chianti Classico . Last bottle was just Ohhhhh so good!!!

Pan, Those pot pies sound Mmm Mmm Good!

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Myplace- can you believe this cold? definately mandarins- they have been scrambling to get them off the trees lately. Guess we CA folks are thinner skinned- there was actually ice on my dogs' water bucket this morning. It was 28 deg. Soup is the thing lately huh?

oldschool- London broil w/ mushrooms and you didn't invite us?? :cry:

Indianwells- w/ mustard or ketchup???? LOL

pan- you and I are on the same page tonite- chukkar pot pies here!
w/ pina coladas (that is in the fruit group right??) LOL :D

Joined Jun 27, 2006
Jayme, Have some leftovers I Sealed and froze for another meal. I'm in the same boat as Mezz but my issue is from cooking in the industry. Just can't get the dogone recipes cut to fit 3 people most of the time. LOL

Actually tonights menu was change to choice of Chicken Tortilla soup or Mom's style chili. Decided to stay in and start celebrating the sale early :beer: and found some of this sealed in the freezer. Temps dropped from 67 this AM to 47 in the PM and still falling so those two choices are very appropriate.:smiles:

BTW heck of a great thread Suzanne/Chameleon

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Jayme,
I cooked those ducks in a fireplace pit. They were fantastic. I had learned in France to arrange vegies in the cavity to create space for air and open at the butt. I stuffed one pretty well and trussed it up almost water-tight and it never did cook through.

Are your chukkars the same small size as here? A little larger then a dove?
The breasts are great if you wrap them around a jalapeno and tie them up in the bacon of choice, grilled and basted with a glaze (Jack Daniels for me).
Sub a scotch bonnet for an added kicker yummmm

I would consider enough pina coladas as dessert

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Oldschool-
I think everyone who has ever cooked for a group or large family (mine was 7, now is 6) knows that feeling. I guess that's why they have all the "cooking for 2" cookbooks. My poor freezer is nearly always full- game meats, leftovers, stock, etc.... Sold house? congrats! Where are you moving to? A house on the market is so stressful!

Joined Jun 27, 2006
We actually have a pantry, second refrigerator and a freezer.:eek: :crazy: :D
Moved in Nov to Richmond VA. Stress? What stress?:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Pot pie- I made one a couple of weeks ago with leftover turkey breast. They had a sale on whole turkeys and I couldn't resist; leftovers were planned. :D Chopped up some celery, carrots and leeks and sauteed them for a bit, then made a white sauce with sherry and tossed it in with the veggies and meat. Sad to say I used a store-bought pie crust, but I never have learned to make it. That was a gooood pie!

Tonight was pot roast in the crock pot. The roast was $2.99 a pound, so that was a no-brainer. :)

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Just occured to me, pot pie style.
Mezz, yours is white. I usually go dark. Today I just poached my vegies in a little chix stock and all my drippings, maybe a quart with all the birds I did. Seasoned and thickened with a little dark roux. I don't add the meat to the mixture. I pour it over the meat in the shell.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I had no bottom shell, Pan. (Sounds like something I should :blush: for saying!)

To be perfectly honest, that was a take-off of a chicken tetrazzini recipe I use a lot for my mother-in-law. I used more broth than milk in my sauce- added some more herbs than I'd use for my MIL.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Mezz,
I was just wondering about all the different type of pie. Last night, I simmered some ch stock with all my duck drippings(qt) (We need to identify leftovers for this thread), how about LO, I added broccoli stems, 1/4'd leek bulbs, LO, carrots, celery, turnips LO,zucchini, spinach, splash chianti, spices and thickened with a very dark roux. Poured this over the duck that I threw in the pies.
I sometimes go the other way like yours, white, peas etc.
I guess I go both ways when it's PP:D
We are actually snowed in again today. No school, no work.:eek: Texas??
Tonight something chicken, individual. When freezing outside we leave the dining room for the rec room. Fire, TV, TV tables, it's fun, it sometimes does not happen in our winters.

Joined Jan 29, 2000
Healthy meal on my menu:
Tonight we are having Cajun Grilled Salmon Filet( that I am cooking on my new Cuisinart Griddler),roasted garlic baby potatoes, broccoli almandine.
I bought frozen berries that are so good;looking for different ways of serving healthy desserts after all the rich foods over the holidays.Last night I served them with a Tblsp maple syrup and topped them with yogurt; that was good but now no more yogurt.Any ideas here from all you fabulous cooks.I will eventually make a crisp.
Thanks

:smiles:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom