Breaded chicken held for 36 hours - Safety concern?

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I'm cooking for a large group. I'm planning to bread and hold chicken breasts in the refrigerator for 36 hours before baking (making chicken parm). Breading is typical flour, egg, breadcrumbs. I'm pretty sure this is fine, but mostly concerned about the egg, and I wanted to check before I gave my wife's whole company food poisoning. Thanks.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
As long as you Keep it properly sealed and under a certain temp, it SHOULD be fine. But honestly, I'd still not leave it out that long. Better safe than sorry. No more than 12 hours would be best.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
At the very least, I've cracked Eggs by mistake, and put them in a sealed container, and there were still good 2-3 days later. Granted, that was JUST Eggs. Given you're prebattering chicken, I'd not leave it for more that 12 hours, just to be safe.
So the Night before, in other words.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
I think that 3 days even in the fridge, that egg wash is gonna get slimy and manky. Thats just been my experience.
Having beaten an egg is entirely different than a still in tact egg out of its shell.
Even if its still safe, its not gonna be.......as pleasant.
And that breading is gonna be bread mush, so youll just have to be touching up
every breast anyway, with new breading.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
I think that 3 days even in the fridge, that egg wash is gonna get slimy and manky. Thats just been my experience.
Having beaten an egg is entirely different than a still in tact egg out of its shell.,
That's true, too.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
From a safety point of view, you’d probably be o.k., if you are concerned you could use liquid pasteurized eggs.

However, after 36 hours in a fridge your breadcrumbs will get soggy and pasty. When fried or baked the soggy breading will become flat and hard, and not at all pleasant.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
May as well bread them well ahead of time and freeze... like they do commercially.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Thanks all. I'm going to bread them the morning of the event.

Some of you are math challenged. 36 hours is a day and a half, not 3 days. (A day on Saturn is about 12 hours I think. But, it's all gas ya'know, so all bets are off.) Ug, the state of American education. :) Carry on.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
36 hours or 72 hours, the outcome is still the same. The eggs and breadcrumbs will become slimy and your finished product will not be wonderful, just as the others have said.

For future reference, whenever you are serving poultry and/or any dish prepared with raw eggs, such as the breading of your chicken, you always want to prep it as close to when it needs to be cooked as possible. Your entire meal prep schedule should be based around this.

Don't forget to bring your chicken and egg mixture up to room temp just before breading and cooking.

Good luck. :)

Joined Jan 31, 2012
well ive breaded chicken cordon bleu that night
and kept them in the fridge til baking the next day aroun 2pm but only because the owner insisted on it. Invariably they were getting grody by that time and i had to rebread any way. 5 or 6 is no big, but banquet for 50, it was a lot of redo work for nuthin. And although I never got any complaints, it wasnt up to my personal standards.
I try not to go more than 3 or 4 hours ahead of time, and pop them in the fridge straight away.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I agree with many others here that, from a safety standpoint, you are okay, if kept at under 40 degrees, but, as stated above, there is a quality issue when storing breaded foods this long under refrigeration. Your breading is going to get soggy and isn't going to cook up well.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
You could also bread, fry to brown, freeze, cook and hold in the oven.

You can flatten the chicken breasts and the the cook time will be quick so you can do it all in one go.

You can flatten the chicken breasts, bread, store between sheets of parchment, and fry to order at the event.

You could stuff, freeze, bread and fry to brown, (overnight hold in fridge as an option) cook fully in the oven.

Top Bottom