bread sculptures

Joined May 31, 2003
hi folks, i've been asked by my kids school to make a sculpture from bread. this is something that i never did before. what type of dough should i use, wet or dry, with little yeast and how should i create markings on the surface of the dough that will be recognized after baking? thanks for any comments.

dino

Joined Jun 30, 2001
porkchopboy,

When I was at CIA we made bread dough sculptures out of "dead dough". Dough without yeast. (I'll look later in my notes and see if I still have recipe). Also, you can color that same dough with baking ingredients such as molasses, etc. to make different colors. After it's baked, you glaze it with a spray that both seal it and makes it glossy - turns out looking great, though time consuming.

Joined May 29, 1999
joe amendola's book Bakers Manual uses hard roll dough with out yeast and noodle dough (page 27, revised 3rd addtion).

Joe Amendola Hard Roll:

Bread Flour 5#
Salt 2 oz
sugar 2 oz
shortening 2 oz
egg whites 2 oz
Water 3#
(Yeast 3 oz )

Buy this book, it contains the building blocks of all baking for the professional and it is small!
I have two copies and use them all the time (for the past 15 years) it is the only book that has been everywhere with me!

Top Bottom