Bread Rising

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I often do so, more for the no draft aspect and it keeps my counters free.

Joined Mar 4, 2015
I like to use clean sheet tray bags to cover up any loaf pans, or half sheet trays of rolls if I am baking at home, Clean trash bags work well too!

I am also at higher altitude with much drier air, so the microwave may be perfectly in a more humid environment, but too dry for that here.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
We have a small shelf in our laundry room for this purpose, the moisture and warmth from the washer and drier make for great proofing.

Joined Apr 29, 2019
the fridge

the warmer the area, the faster the rise

the faster the rise, the less developed the flavour of the yeast is when the dough is fully proven

faster simply doesnt mean better. theres no shortcuts to making something of high quality

Reactions: rck
Joined Mar 4, 2015
the fridge

the warmer the area, the faster the rise

the faster the rise, the less developed the flavour of the yeast is when the dough is fully proven

faster simply doesnt mean better. theres no shortcuts to making something of high quality
That makes sense for a lean dough, but something enriched like a burger bun, challah, brioche etc. gets a majority of the flavor from the eggs, fats, and sugars in the dough, along with a little bit of acidity from the fermentation.

I certainly agree for lean doughs though. Using cold water, long bulk fermentation, and a cold proof. Good stuff

Joined Apr 29, 2019
That makes sense for a lean dough, but something enriched like a burger bun, challah, brioche etc. gets a majority of the flavor from the eggs, fats, and sugars in the dough, along with a little bit of acidity from the fermentation.

I certainly agree for lean doughs though. Using cold water, long bulk fermentation, and a cold proof. Good stuff
an appreciated addendum to my somewhat terse post

rck

Joined Apr 26, 2020
I put mine on top of the fridge with a thermometer up there also so I can keep an eye on the temp

Joined Jul 7, 2020
well I have tried baking bread, in the fridge and straight in over as well. But all the times it dose not rise properly! a soggy compressed texture in the middle

Latest posts

Top Bottom