Bread not rising properly

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Hello there
Tried several kinds of yeast and flour and I just can not seam to get it to rise properly. It is damp and compressed in the middle. So any ideas please?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Can you post your recipe?
At first glance, I would say that you don't let is rise long enough

Joined May 5, 2010
The several kinds of yeast may be the problem
There are many yeasts to choose from and each has its qualities.
Firstly, bread machine, quick rise, and instant yeasts are created for only one rise. Cake and granulated yeasts are for a double rise.
Damp and compressed in the middle is a sign of not allowing the dough to rise enough before baking, or that the yeast had used up all its energy and collapsed during baking.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Dont really have a recipe to be honest!
Just put flour in a bowl and water and yeast in a cup then mixed the two together then let sit for a few hours

Yest wise
I have sainsburys brand "fast action dried yeast (essential for bread to rise perfectly every time)"
And "allinson easy bake yeast (for bread makes and hand bakes)"

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Do you knead the dough at all?
Not perse necessary, but it will affect the rising time.
Do you use salt? As I found doughs without salt very difficult to work with.
If I were you, I would follow a simple bread recipe and see how that works out.
Flour
65 (60-70) % water (based on flour weight)
2 % salt (ditto)
2 % yeast (can be a lot less, but then it has to rise longer. I use 0.3% if I got time).
Other factors to consider:
Rising temperature
How hot does your oven get? Pre-heat it to as high as it will go.
Again, I would at least one time follow a recipe so you get a feel for things and then start experimenting. It's amaxing that just 4 ingredients can make such a big variety of breads!

Joined May 5, 2010
Dont really have a recipe to be honest!
Just put flour in a bowl and water and yeast in a cup then mixed the two together then let sit for a few hours

Yest wise
I have sainsburys brand "fast action dried yeast (essential for bread to rise perfectly every time)"
And "allinson easy bake yeast (for bread makes and hand bakes)"
These are both examples of quick rise yeasts......

Top Bottom