bread makers love them or hate them?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by a.s.prior, Feb 11, 2010.

1. a.s.prior

a.s.prior

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    hello ive just been set a project and it is to improve or redesign a bread maker. i was wondering if anyone had ever had any problems with their bread makers or knows of anything that you think could improve them. any info would be appreciated thanks

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I love my breadmaker. She loves to bake. :D

3. muskyhopeful

muskyhopeful

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've heard sometimes Italian bread makers drink a little too much wine late in the day, and French bread makers can be a little rude. I believe that is part of their charm, however, and wouldn't presume to suggest changes.

Kevin

4. elizabethbryce@

[email protected]

Exp:
    Other
    I only wish my bread maker can cook proper bread. :( I used it once for baking Italian bread. I don't know what nationality it turned out to but I wasn't happy. Now I mostly use it to mix my ingredients and mix my dough. Then get the dough out and rise it in the laundry (it is warmer there during winter).

My best bread bakes better in the oven than in the breadmaker. :chef:

5. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    well the last time i played with a bread maker i was unimpressed by several factors. Cooked unevenly, small loaf size, couldn't get the blasted thing out of its cook tub and in the end it really looked more like a log of bread then a loaf. I know they have probably made some adjustments to some of those issues but thats my two cents.

6. lovetobake45

lovetobake45

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I bought a bread maker when they first came out thinking they would be a time saver.At first I thought they were good but I found the bread to be unevenly cooked ,as was mentioned before,and the bread just not up to standard.So I gave it to my mother-in-law and she loved it. Everything she made turned out great,she made bread and rice pudding and a lot of things.So I guess in the right hands they are a good thing!

7. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    the best thing about my breadmaker is the glutenfree cycle. i never used a breadmaker until i had to. with the glutenfree cycle at least the bread doesn't deflate and squish down.
    kathee

8. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I "loved" mine so much that I gave it to a friend to put in their yardsale. The first year, it was great. Then, every loaf I tried to bake would collapse in the middle and it would vibrate horribly no matter what I did. I used it for kneading and rising pizza dough a few times but then decided I'd rather just get my hands dirty and do it myself.

9. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    They should be outlawed! They take all the fun out of baking bread :)

10. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have a 15 year-old Panasonic and it is great for kneading dough and provides a warm environment for rising. It also bakes well, but the pan is not long enough and too tall. Therefore, the loaves are very tall, and it's very awkward to use them for sandwiches. I've looked at other breadmakers, but they all seem to have the same problem. Some even make round loaves. (Huh?) Therefore, I use the breadmaker for making the dough, but bake it in the oven. If I were going to design a breadmaker, I'd make sure it the pan produced a usefully-shaped loaf.

11. cabosailor

cabosailor

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We have a Zojirushi that we love. We don't let it actually bake the bread but use it to mix and knead the dough. We form and perform the final rise manually prior to baking in the oven.

When shopping for the original, I kept seeing reviews that used the Zojirushi as the yardstick. So I bought the yardstick.

Our King Arthur flour cookbook presented the opinion that the bread machine does a better job of mixing and kneading than a stand mixer or by hand. True? Maybe, but we still find it convenient.

Rich

12. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Got one - don't like it. I'm not a natural baker, so I thought it may help.

Bread always seems way too heavy/dense (no idea what I'm doing wrong). The brand name starts with "B" and end with "reville". Loaves are too short also. And I keep losing the stirring part in the end of the loaf, which I toss out after a couple of days after forgetting to take it out, so its off to the store - again! - to get a replacement.
    It shakes and shimmies and makes a lot of noise.

It's gathering dust in a cupboard. I buy my bread always now.
    Must admit the couple of times I've made it by hand I got a good result, just really haven't got the time to do it.

13. auspicious

auspicious

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The product is ugly. Besides, making bread is easy ... just do it by hand.

14. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Goodness. I didn't know they allowed such personal questions in the public forums! Just joking. However, I think the breadmaker is just one of those things you either love or hate. If I had to make bread the "traditional" way, I would seldom make bread at all. Been there, done that, don't like it --neither the process nor the result -- (spare me the "what-I'm doing-wrong-advice"; my mind is set). Furthermore, my family is just not impressed by things done the old fashioned way. They just dig in and eat.

Before I got the one I now use, I had a smaller, simpler model (purchased at a yard sale, by the way) that was passed on to our daughter. That was back in 1998, and she still uses it regularly. I'm thinking she really needs a much larger, more sophisticated model now that her family has three growing boys. She covets mine, but I'm not giving it up.

15. chefincollege

chefincollege

Exp:
    Line Cook
    My oven is my breadmaker lol.

16. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I've used two different models within the past year. One at my SIL's, used her maker's cook booklet recipe....except used bread flour (only thing in their house).....turned out super. I liked not having to mess with it while cooking multiple meals.

The other is an older model that a client has....the metal blade bakes into the bottom crust and it's a pain to tear open the loaf to remove it.

I used to make yeast bread on a regular basis by hand or cuisinart.....destroyed many a kitchenaid with doughs....making it on a slow day when not alot was happening, so the experience was pleasant....

Bread machines are a means to an end, like taking a short cut.

17. mrsbushaxe

mrsbushaxe

Exp:
    Other
    Mines a Regal that's about 15 years old and I use it at least 3 times a week to knead and sometimes do the first rise.

We eat a lot of rolls or buns and pizza here and it's a huge time saver for me.

Occassionally, I forget the dough and it cooks into a tasty but odd mushroom topped loaf, which we cut across instead of down like a regular loaf.

I love my breadmaker and would never be without one.

I would like to see a removeable tray under the elements that can be pulled out and cleaned like a toaster over has.

18. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    I turn my breadmaker on the side, on a kitchen towel, and brush the crumbs out onto the towel with a long handled basting brush. Then I shake the crumbs outside for the wild birds.

19. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm sensing a theme here...the breadmaker works well for mixing and kneading but not baking. Seems like a fruitful area to direct one's efforts at improvement.

20. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Breadmakers do a very nice job with baking, however the shape of your finished loaf is limited to that of the baking pan that come with it. Even those with options for making 2 or 3 different size loafs still produce only one shape. Some of the pans are tall and thin, others more mimic a sandwich loaf. My daughter's breadmaker has a cylindrical pan.

So if you want to make rolls, sweet buns, artisan breads or other creatively shaped loaves (braids, twists, etc), the breadmaker will knead and rise for you, but you then have to shape your bread yourself and finish it in your regular oven.