Bread Machine

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Anyone own a bread machine? A chef friend of mine was telling me about the one he and his wife purchased so I decided to puchase one.

I picked up the Saltman Breadman Ultimate. The first couple recipes from the book were not so great. Anyone out there use a bread machine? I love making bread by hand but because of time it just isn't possible for me so I thought a bread machine would be a good substitue throught the week.

Anyone have good experiences with their bread machines? Recommended books?

Joined Nov 17, 2000
Because I have trouble with my hands and can't knead dough, I bought a bread machine--the same model you have, Nicko! I love it!
At first, I had some bad luck. But once I discovered that using King Arthur flour makes all the difference, I've really enjoyed it.
One thing that helped me was learning that cinnamon has to be kept away from the yeast so it should go in with the liquids, shortening, and salt.
And, over all, I think the recipes that contain fruits are best because sometimes the whole wheat loaves are a little dry.
I like the recipes that use brown sugar or honey, but I found it turned out better if I was really generous with the honey.
I use a recipe that calls for meusli that I get from King Arthur. It is really tasty! And another uses a banana and some strawberry preserves.
I don't remember the name of the cookbook I have--I'm at work right now, so I can't look--but it is something I picked up on sale at Walden's. Nothing particularly fancy!
For some reason, I always make the 2 pound loaf-it turns out better for me, but I don't know why.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Ahh the cinnamon is what did me in. I tried the first loaf with cinnamon and it weighed a ton.

Marzoli, have you read Rustic European Breads from Your Bread Machine? I have read some good things about it and was thinking about picking up a copy.

I like the bread machine I just need to master it. I will have to get some king arthur flour. Where can I get some? I haven't seen it in the local stores?

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Nicko,

You can use your bread machine to mix and ferment the dough. Then perform the dividing and shaping by hand and the baking in a conventional oven. This method allows you to form the loaf in the shape of your choice. :)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
In The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook Beth Hensperger
suggest adding a bit of gluten to the flour. She says it will improove the taste and texture of your bread.

Joined Nov 17, 2000
http://www.kingarthurflour.com

I order the bread flour and the whole wheat flour from them. Other things too, but especially the flour. Flour from our local grocery stores is so coarse that it makes a whole wheat loaf way too dry. Even with gluten. The bread flour just helps produce a nice loaf--the machine makes a good ball with it.

I haven't read that particular book, but I'll look for it.

Good luck with the bread machine.

Joined Nov 17, 2000
Oh yeah, NIcko, they say Schnuck's carries King Arthur flour, if there's one near you. I don't know. I just order it--they deliver in a plastic wrapper in the box, and they have a really good reputation. I even order my cornmeal from them--I'm allergic to msg and local stores carry cornmeal mix with msg.
I admit I was skeptical at first about ordering that kind of stuff, but I wouldn't use anything else now.
One thing I did notice is that their paper catalog has a lot of things that are not on their web site. The flour is, of course.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Kyle,

Shame on you! I was making it by hand but school has got the better of me not to mention all the ChefTalk duties!

I will get back to the by hand method soon enough but for now this will satisfy my love of fresh bread and the smell it bring to our home.

Marzoli,

Thanks so much. I did check out the KA flour site and found that Whole food sells the products I needed. I stocked up on some flours, vital wheat gluten, and some SAF yeast. I tried a loaf last night and it was perfect!

Isa,

Funny you should mention that book I picked up a copy last night. It is a great book and I will post a review on ChefTalk.

Thanks everyone!

Joined Nov 17, 2000
Nicko-glad you had good luck!
I'm also sort of proud that I actually had something contribute for a change, instead of just asking a bunch of lame questions!
ChefTalk has helped me a lot. I'm glad I could give a little something back.

Top Bottom