Bread Biga ??

Joined Dec 17, 2002
Okay, I need some professional advice in the baking area. I made this biga for an Italian bread about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and still have it in my refrigerator. Just fed it tonight with flour and a couple drops of water and seemed to still have it's action.

My question: Is there a "shelf life" for this? It still looks alive and smells like fresh on corked white wine and lights up the nose with a great fragrance and I would like to use it, but wanted to seek advice first. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks,

Schoolchef

Joined May 26, 2001
Hey there! you might get an answer more directly if you post this on one of the Pastry and Baking forums, since that's where the doughboys and -girls hang out. ;)

I haven't used a live starter in years, but as I recall, they can last a long time if you feed them regularly and keep them at the right temperaturesl. But ask the Baking folks; they know SO MUCH MORE about this (especially KyleW).

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Well this is not really hard. If you use a lot of flour you get a biga bread and if you use a little you get a smalla bread.

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I would toss it and start over. If it's made with commercial yeast it's not the proper environment time and temperature wise to have turned itself into a sourdough starter. Most baking books would tell you that you can keep a biga for two to three days, tops.

Joined Dec 17, 2002
Thanks for your replys especially panini's, good one!

Suzanne, just started to learn all about starters, poolishes, bigas, and sponges in the bread baking process and wondering if it was held too long.

Thebighat- I used the SAF active dry yeast, flour, and water. The recipe did say leave out 1-5 hours and then refrigerate up to 2-3 days. Just wondering if it was still effective. I only made a few cups worth. I'll trash the stiff and make more as needed. Thanks for the insight.

schoolchef

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Bake it up and then you will know. sorry about theother answer, the boys brought back a case of the real corona beer, the big bottles. Hey, if it doesn't work I'm sure you won't get any complaints from the birds outside.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
I am in thebighat's camp. Wild yeast and commercial yeast thrive in different environments. The fridge and wild yeast paly together much better than the fridge and commercial yeast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom