Braising a deboned lamb shoulder tommarow, questions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by artameates, Jan 7, 2005.

1. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I have deboned a lamb shoulder. Some of the small muscles became detatched,and im wondering if i can put them in the middle of the roast, roll it up and tie it together. I plan on braising it, but i am considering cooking it to medium rare. I removed all the silver skin too.

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    You can put it in the middle and roll it up, but it will fall out when you slice through it. I wouldn't do medium rare on this cut. Too tough. A nice slow braise would be really good.

3. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    THanks, i did use half of the scraps on a lamb and basil thincrust pizza. I have been wanting to make a lamb curry...

THeres a nice layer of fat on the outside, would you trim any off (im going to sear it)

4. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    edit: Oops; duplicate message...

5. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I would. It doesn't do much for a braise in my opinion. A thin layer suffices.

If you have more scraps and you want to try something a little different, try drizzling some honey once the lamb is sauteed and you've added the curry paste. Add lots of garlic (I prefer whole cloves for this), then deglaze with red wine then lamb jus (or veal of you don't have it).

6. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thats funny, i have 1 kg of garlic and i was going to roast some in the same oven. Lots of garlic!