Bowl adapters for Hobart mixers

Joined Feb 18, 2007
As wedding season approaches, I am haunted by memories of last summer, making batch after batch of meringue buttercream in our trusty 30 qt Hobart. I can't handle the thought of another day, making 9 batches in a row just to start building the wedding cakes for that weekend. The truth is, we go through this every wedding season but I usually can hire an intern whose job it is to make buttercream. Good candidates can be hard to find, we all know that. ;)

There's not a lot of space available for another mixer (we have a 30 and a table top 20) so I would have to get rid of the 30 and put a 60 in it's place. I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between the 60 and 30 bowls. Do you have to buy a specific model of mixer to accommodate a smaller bowl adapter or can they all handle one (e.g., a 60 can handle a 40 or 30 bowl)? How does it work with the attachments (is there an adapter for the stem?) And how hard is it to switch?

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Hobart does offer adapter rings specific to the mixer and the size of bowl. So for say a 40qt mixer there is a specific ring for the standard Hobart 20 qt bowl. The hook/paddle/ whisk are also specific, they will fit on the 40 qt shaft , but not on a 20 qt. mixer. Both the rings and the paddles are clearly marked, ie: 40-20.

If you can find them used go for it! New they are expensive, but still cheaper than buying a new mixer, and a second bowl is almost as good as second mixer.

Joined Oct 28, 2005
The last time I looked at them, they were over $500 for a a 10 qt adapter with the bowl and attachments for a 20 qt mixer. Haven’t looked at anything bigger.

Top Bottom