bought a bunch of oysters, now what?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by millionsknives, Oct 1, 2014.

1. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I bought a bag of 100 oysters overnighted from Duxbury MA.  They were just harvested yesterday. 

I've shucked a few, but this is my first time buying and storing this many.  I have to store them until tomorrow for my party.  I have a few questions for all the experts out there.

1) Storage. The instructions say leave it in the bag in the fridge with a damp towel over the top.  My fridge has a wire rack, so should I put a damp towel underneath also?  Is it better to lay them out on a baking dish or is the bag okay?

2) Sauces.  With oysters this fresh, it's a waste to do anything but eat them raw. Mostly i just like mine with a squeeze of lemon but I plan to have other options for guests.  So far my list is mignonette sauce, a sriracha maple syrup hot sauce, lime and thai chile.  Any other favorites y'all recommend?

2. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    no towel under them, the towel on top is plenty. Good luck!

millionsknives likes this.
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Bloody mary shots!

Champagne mignonette

flipflopgirl likes this.
  4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @Koukouvagia   I like this idea with the champagne.  I might modify it though. I have prosecco and apple cider vinegar on hand and apples from last weeks apple picking.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That sounds like a brilliant and seasonal modification :)

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Update:

BIG SUCCESS. Shucked some 100 New England Oysters with 1) apple, shallot, apple cider vinegar mignonette with a tiny bit of prosecco 2) standard mignonette with shallots, sherry vinegar ,etc. 3) sriracha maple syrup hot sauce 4) thai chili salt and lime 5) lemons 6) prosecco shots

I only invited 3 people over so we had 2 dozen each :D

This was only my second time shucking oysters and towards the end I was getting much faster.  I want to try shucking competitions next year.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's a wonderful way to spend an evening!

8. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Envy! The worst kind of envy you can imagine!

9. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Only 10 calories each!  I should start a diet fad.

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Some years ago a friend of mine had a big 50th birthday party. He got a good deal on oysters, I can't remember if he got 100 or a gross, it was a lot.  Something like only 7 of the guest tried them.  Those seven may have eaten a total of 10 - 12 among them. Rich and I sacrificed ourselves and did our best throughout the evening to finsih off the rest. It was rough duty.

mjb.

11. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Awesome to hear it turned out well! Just this year I learned to shuck oysters. It really is interesting that you can do it wrong in a lot of ways but once you understand the right place to insert the blade and pop, it becomes extremely fast and easy. The biggest problem I had was occasionally having some of the shell break off into the inside which was a major PITA to deal with.

12. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I'm not an expert at all, but there are two schools of shucking.

1) West coast - Wiggle into the hinge, pry it open, scrape the top, scoop the bottom

2) East coast - Comes in through the side

Additionally there are two types of knives, one is thinner and sharper with a curved tip.  The other is thicker and straight with an edge guard.

I've had cleaner faster success with west coast style using this knife

Shells can break off if you force the hinge instead of wiggling in.  You also get bits of grit if you don't scrub the oysters beforehand.

13. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think I had east coast oysters and used the hinge. I'd say 9 out of 10 was no problem. Then again, I'm not 100% certain they were east coast. I hadn't paid that much attention but since I live on the east coast (hence eastshores) I figure there's a good chance they were. Thanks for the info.

14. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The size and shapes of oysters can make a difference too.  That might be where the different approaches came from.

15. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I grew up shucking oysters in Florida. We used to buy them by the bushel. Never heard of the the east coast method. Always went in the hinge with a curved tip and used a lever motion and "pop" it opened up nice and clean.

16. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Most competitions I've watched, they go in through the side.  When I go in from the hinge, I then have to rotate to free it from the bottom.  This way, it's three swipes in the same direction: shell, top, bottom.

Same as opening clams from the side.

17. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    @MillionsKnives  Would you mind sharing where you sourced that sack of oysters?

My husband the fisherman has always made a "picking trip" to gather our Christmas Eve treats from healthy reefs located during his wade fishing trips each year.

The back breaking work has become just too much and we have decided that expensive oysters are better than no oysters.

Drove all the way to Galveston (last year) on a tip from the monger at our local HEB and they were old and nasty (even frying did not help).

Were reimbursed of course but no longer trust the guy so in the market for one or two sacks this coming holiday season.

Can ya lend a girl a hand?

mimi

18. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    http://shop.islandcreekoysters.com/

These were the signature Island Creek oysters.  They have a wellfleet one that I like but I'm not very good at shucking those.  Moon shoals are on the sweeter side like northwestern oysters.  The best part is that they overnight for free.

19. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Good lord.. they have a shucking knife on there that costs $325.00 /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

20. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I saw that one. Ridiculous! That's way too much to spend on a knife meant for abuse.