borsht part II

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dan ruff, Jan 9, 2011.

1. dan ruff

dan ruff

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've been convinced not to use pork shanks to substitute beef shins, so I'm going to seek out beef shins. But, would beef shank work? Also, my wife is not a big fennel fan. Would it "not be borsht" if I left out the fennel? 

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    beef shanks and beef shins are the same thing. How much fennell are we talking about. Never made borscht only ate it.  

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Borscht runs through my veins. How about a recipe so we can better answer your question.

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There is true Russian Borscht or the Beet Juice with the spoon of sour cream on top that they serve in American places . Which are we talking about. I have made both and never used fennel?

5. dan ruff

dan ruff

Exp:
    At home cook
    This recipe is the one in the new New York Times Cook Book. It has stuff like cabbage, beets, beef shank/shins, carrots, onion, rw vinegar, potatoes and a 1/3 cup, oops, DILL.  Could it do without the dill?  Is there a good substitute for dill? 

6. dan ruff

dan ruff

Exp:
    At home cook
    This recipe is the one in the new New York Times Cook Book. It has stuff like cabbage, beets, beef shank/shins, carrots, onion, rw vinegar, potatoes and a 1/3 cup, oops, DILL.  Could it do without the dill?  Is there a good substitute for dill? 

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    DAN This is more like the Classic Russian Borscht. Finished with a julianne of beets.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011