borsht part II

Joined Jan 7, 2011
I've been convinced not to use pork shanks to substitute beef shins, so I'm going to seek out beef shins. But, would beef shank work? Also, my wife is not a big fennel fan. Would it "not be borsht" if I left out the fennel? 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
beef shanks and beef shins are the same thing. How much fennell are we talking about. Never made borscht only ate it.  

Joined May 5, 2010
Borscht runs through my veins. How about a recipe so we can better answer your question.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
There is true Russian Borscht or the Beet Juice with the spoon of sour cream on top that they serve in American places . Which are we talking about. I have made both and never used fennel?

Joined Jan 7, 2011
This recipe is the one in the new New York Times Cook Book. It has stuff like cabbage, beets, beef shank/shins, carrots, onion, rw vinegar, potatoes and a 1/3 cup, oops, DILL.  Could it do without the dill?  Is there a good substitute for dill? 

Joined Jan 7, 2011
This recipe is the one in the new New York Times Cook Book. It has stuff like cabbage, beets, beef shank/shins, carrots, onion, rw vinegar, potatoes and a 1/3 cup, oops, DILL.  Could it do without the dill?  Is there a good substitute for dill? 

Joined Apr 3, 2010
DAN This is more like the Classic Russian Borscht. Finished with a julianne of beets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom