Bordelaise Sauce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by petalsandcoco, Feb 22, 2010.

1. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef

I have been making Sauce Bordelaise this way for some time now and was wondering if it should be tweaked or done another way ? I have been searching on the net to see how others make it and for me my recipe seems to be the long route....

Makes about one cup. ( This is usually made in large quantities)

2 ounces of marrow (beef)

1 ½ cups red wine

1/3 cup finely chopped shallots

1 bay leaf

1/8 thyme

1/8 fresh ground pepper

½ cup of fond lie (accent on “e”)

¼ tsp fresh lemon juice

½ tsp salt.

I usually put the beef marrow in a small bowl with cold water and refrigerate for an hour (or water and ice for ½ hour) . Why ? To remove any traces of blood and to firm the marrow for cutting.

Then in a saucepan I add wine, shallots, bay leaf, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture has reduced to about ½ cup.

I then add the fond lie and stir from time to time for 20 minutes or so, then strain through a sieve.

Then I drain the marrow, pat dry, and cut into ¼ inch dice. Return the sauce to the saucepan, low heat and add marrow, lemon juice and salt.

My fond lie recipe is as follows:

brown veal stock, mushrooms, fresh parsley, arrowroot cold water and caramel.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I do mine a little different, classically I would use a demi glace, but know I use a glace de viande.
    Pretty much everything else is the same as you make yours.

To your jus lie, I make mine with a veal stock, that I add instead of water to traditional brown stock ingredients. I don't use lemon, nor make a caramel. Sometimes I don't add the arrowroot slurry because the fond de veau jus lie has enough gelatinous properties on it's own.

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
     Cape Chef,

I was up early making it and was wondering if anything should be changed.....the net did not offer anything . I will treak it next time following your directions.

Thank you for your insight.