Bordelaise Sauce

Joined May 16, 2003
Dear Friends:

I was looking at an old issue of Gourmet and saw a recipe for beef tenderloin with bordelaise sauce. Beef marrow rounds accompany the meat. There are three steps to preparing the marrow:

First, it is soaked in warm water for 10 minutes to remove it from the bone.

Second, it is soaked in cold water for 24 hrs.

Finally, it is poached for 8 minutes in beef broth and then added to the bordelaise sauce. It is then served with the meat with the sauce drizzled on top.

My question is: why is it necessary to soak it in cold water for 24 hrs? Why couldn't it be poached after it is removed from the bone via the initial soaking in warm water?

Mark

Joined Jun 9, 2003
You know I'm not 100% sure but I felt like giving it my best shot :)

Is it possible that the 24 hour soak is to "loosen" up the meat?
A bordelaise sauce is a pretty hearty sauce and even though bone marrow is pretty soft it is fatty. I can understand the poaching to draw out as much flavor as possible.
My suggestion, for what it is worth, is to follow the recipe and then modify it from there. That's the way I like to try new things.

Joined May 26, 2001
One of the steps in the process of koshering meat (making it clean and fit for consumption) is to soak it in water. So I think it's more likely that the cold-water soak is to "clean" the marrow, that is, to draw out the blood and impurities. Remember that marrow is where blood is made, so there will be leftovers from the process still in the marrow.

But, mmmmmmmmm :lips: fat carries flavor!!

Joined Jun 9, 2001
Mark V:

I used to make this sauce all the time at a hotel that I apprenticed at.

The soaking is to draw out the blood and other impurities that might be in there. What works better though is soaking it in milk for a little while. That does the trick.

However, you can by pass all of this by simply just poaching the bone that has the bone marrow in it. By poaching it, the fat will release from the bone making it easer to pop out when it is done. However, I do suggest shocking it after you take it out of the poaching liquid.

If you do not want to use bone marrow (can be hard to find) just add a few tablespoons of butter and wisk it into the sauce. This, too, is wonderful.

Hope this helps.

Joined May 16, 2003
Thank you for your replies.

Yes, it makes sense that soaking the marrow would draw out the ickies.

I wil do so when I try this recipe.

mark

Joined Feb 21, 2001
A warm summer Vermont breeze blowing in through the windows and filling the stock kitchen with the heady aroma of Bordelaise reduction is something I'll always remember.

Joined Jun 9, 2001
I did some more research into your question and found out that the soaking in water (along with some salt) helps release the marrow from the bone granting you want to poach it seperatly from the bone.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom