BOOKS TO READ BEFORE ENTERING SCHOOL

Joined Apr 9, 2011
I AM ABOUT TO ENTER CULINARY ARTS PROGRAM AND WONDERING WHICH GOOD BOOKS WOULD HELP ME GAIN SOME BASIC KNOWLEDGE ON WHAT I MAY BE LEARNING IN SCHOOL, ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Joined May 14, 2010
Personally, I would say make sure you have a food lovers companion. I have a few months before I graduate school, and just bought one last week. I wish I would've gotten it my first week of school.

Joined May 9, 2011
Read Daniel Boulud's "Letter's to a young chef". It definitely has some useful knowledge for someone entering the industry. It's also a quick, entertaining read for anyone interested in cooking.

In addition to that, I personally love my 'Larousse "Gastronomique". It's a great reference book and I'm always learning from it.

Joined Jun 22, 2010
This is the list I read before starting school last year:

On Food and Cooking

Ratio

The Making of a Chef

CIA-Pro chef

Pastry Techniques

Julia Child's Vol I&II

What I found at least as important as reading was knife skills. Get a good knife and start cutting now and do it every day. Confidence with your knife will lead to confidence elsewhere is the kitchen.

Joined Dec 4, 2009
the flavor bible

cia professional chef

the french laundry

PS - you might also considering disabling your capslock key =D

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2010
The Bible ------   Guide Culinaire  by A Escoffier for Continental   Cuisine  and   Fanny Farmer cookbook for American Basics

Joined Sep 1, 2012
I am on my second term at Le Cordon Bleu for Baking & Patisserie and I have personally been reading everything I can get my hands on. 
I loved Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Amazing book. Everything about Kitchen Confidential was aawesome. I also read The Idiot's Guide to Success as a Chef (say what you will about the title lol) by Leslie Bilderback. I loved how she just kind of put certain things out there for you and was like, yeah, if you can't handle this, then maybe the chef field isn't for you. I am currently reading Julie & Julia (which really has no bearing on being a professional chef, but it was the next in my HUGE stack of books to read. LOL).

A few others I have in a stack to read are...

The Nasty Bits  by Anthony Bourdain 

Under the Table  by Katherine Darling

Kitchen Confidential  by Anthony Bourdain

Julie & Julia  by Julie Powell

My Life in France  by Julia Child

The Pastry Chef's Companion  by Glenn and Laura Rinsky

The Making of a Chef  by Michael Ruhlman

Becoming a Chef  by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page

The Devil in the Kitchen: Sex, Pain, Madness, and the Making of a Great Chef  by Marco Pierre White

My Life from Scratch by Gesine Bullock-Prado

Career Diary of a Pastry Chef by Yuko Kitazawa

Spiced by Dalia Jurgensen

Like I said, I want to read everything ahah. I bought a lot of these from Half Price Books on clearance. /shrug. Anyways, hope that helps.

Joined Sep 13, 2011
The Making Of A Cook by Madeleine Kamman French Chemist and chef

On Food And Cooking by Harold McGee

Anything by M.F.K. Fisher "How to Cook A Wolf" is all I can think of (this is non fiction)

Joined Sep 30, 2012
i know this post is like almost a year ago and OP is already in school .. but i think this thread could be useful for any "future peeps who might ask the same question.." so here is 2 books ... three but i cant remember the name of the other..

Top Bottom