Book to help with my fish knowledge and techniques

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by hatfielder, Jul 23, 2014.

1. hatfielder

hatfielder

Exp:
    Line Cook
    First time posting here. Great site. I'm excite to be apart of it.

I'm looking to do some more work with our aquatic friends. I have some basic skills from fishing but really not much more than scaling, eviscerating and filleting. Looking to do some more interesting cuts and cooking methods. I'll be working with Gulf fish, mainly pompano, flounder, drum, specs. I'll be doing some stages around soon at some great seafood places but would like to go in with a decent bit of knowledge and let them help me out with the rough spots.

Any and all suggestions I would appreciate.

Thanks,

John 

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  4. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would definitely recommend the James Peterson book. He is a fabulous teacher/ cookbook writer.

I looked at Fish Forever at the used bookstore across from my office a couple of weeks ago and took a pass. I wasn't crazy about the recipes--and there didn't seem to be that many of them--maybe one or two for each variety of fish discussed and I don't recall much about technique that could be applied to fish cookery in general. It is good if what you are interested in is learning about which types of fish are healthiest and most sustainable.

5. hatfielder

hatfielder

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thanks for all the suggestions, y'all. I started with James Peterson and the Encyclopedia of Fish.

Happy cookin

6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Nicko - you're really getting that "linky thing" down - I need to learn to do that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014