Bone fragment in Chicken

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cookwithlove, Jun 24, 2012.

1. cookwithlove

cookwithlove

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear all,

I work as a chef in a production kitchen preparing snack filling for retail outlets. Most of these filling using cooked chicken meat imported from Thailand. Estimated usage 400 to 600 kg of cooked chicken meat. They are de-bone, portion into bite size, cooked and freeze before imported to us.Before they are packed in Thailand, this chicken go throught the x-ray to detect any bone fragrant, plastic or hair. I do not know their de-boning and cleaning process. Before our cooking process begin, we open the cooked chicken(2 kg) a pkt, place into a warmer, check physically with our bare hand to ensure no bone fragrant before we begin the cooking process. We do not have a detector machine here. From time to time, we still find brittle/soft/fragment bones that escaped the detection machine there. Something we missed and it end up in the filling and we get complaint from customers who makes a big fuss. We have implemented many measures to resolve this problem without success. I am looking at all directions to address the root cause of this problem and Iook forward to your input, suggestion and advice.

My grateful and sincere thanks and appreciation.

komala     

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How small a size are you talking?  The first thing you do is go to the plant in Thailand if you can.  If you can't you can ask them how they do it.

What are your specifications?  You can have them pass it through a smaller plate.  Sometimes the X-ray machine will not pick up on stuff if the bed depth is too thick.  So if they are trying to get more throughput and increasing the depth of the pieces on the belt the machine may not be picking it up.

Barring that you really have to know how they do it.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I really dont think this can ever be fully controlled be it hand or machine pulled. We have even found a minute paricle of bone in a chicken nugget package.