boiling water start, hard boiled eggs

Joined Apr 8, 2013
I can't remember who said it, but I think it was Daniel Patterson. I am probably wrong though, but they said, "Put the top ten chefs in the world and ask them to discuss cooking eggs and watch them go wild."

Always makes me happy to think about. :)

Last edited:
Joined Aug 13, 2006
Siduri,

I came across this Blog and thought of you : http://cooking-from-scratch.blogspot.ca/2012/03/perfect-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Why not attempt to cook the eggs at 176 F ? See what happens.  The Modernist Cuisine kitchens have spent alot of money and time  perfecting dishes, could this be it ?

Just a thought.
Egad, Petals, nooooo!  I'm the one who doesn;t want to hover to see when the water boils and this would have me hovering to maintain an exact temperature for the entire cooking time!!  Heaven forfend!. 

I'm not looking for the PERFECT egg, I'm just looking for the EASIEST way to get a DECENT egg.  No hovering, no waiting for water to boil, rough times, and easily monitored condition (water boiling, or not boiling).  I'm allergic to thermometers and scales.   I will use a timer though. 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Geez everyone and their complicated egg methods. Siduri you've been more than clear in what you are looking for here. Somehow the topic of eggs turns everyone into a NASA scientist lol.

Joined Sep 18, 2008
Siduri,

Gamble a half dozen eggs.

Bring the water to a boil.

Place the eggs in the water and turn the heat off and put a lid on. (no watching the pot involved.

The FIRST time, let the pot sit for 15 minutes, then take an egg out every minute thereafter, chill, peel, and cut open, the one YOU like sets the time for YOUR stove/pot/egg combination to be followed every time.

Oh, you MAY have to buy a kitchen timer

Joined Jan 30, 2012
Easiest way is still the pressure cooker - done in less than 10 minutes and it will take you maybe 2-3 minutes to peel a half dozen as the shells slip off so easy.

No temps no adjustments burner on high the entire time - up to preassure and 6 minutes later take off heat and wait till safe to open.

Seriously so much easier to peel - you'll volunteer to bring deviled eggs / egg salad sandwiches to family dinners / pot-lucks or what ever gatherings you may attend.

-------

If you want to do it starting with cold water and not have to buy a timer / watch the pot, you can do as pioneer women did.

Put a half dozen eggs in the bottom of your kettle fill with what ever temp water you want - put a whistle stopper in the top of the spout and put the lid on.  Put it over high heat - when the kettle whistles remove from heat and wait 20 minutes, same as said up thread.

Immerse in cold water and then peel - you'll never want to do more than a half dozen at a time though and you'll be back here asking for tips on how to peel them easily.

(ps to save time - ice water directly out of boiling water, peel under running water, roll the egg around on the counter, tap the egg with a spoon all over, use old eggs, blow torch them after cooling, liquid nitrogen to crack the eggshell, vinegar in the water to attack the shell, starting the eggs from room temp etc. etc.)

Seriously try the pressure cooker just once with just one egg, you'll be convinced.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 13, 2006
Quote:
Siduri,

Gamble a half dozen eggs.

Bring the water to a boil.

Place the eggs in the water and turn the heat off and put a lid on. (no watching the pot involved.

The FIRST time, let the pot sit for 15 minutes, then take an egg out every minute thereafter, chill, peel, and cut open, the one YOU like sets the time for YOUR stove/pot/egg combination to be followed every time.

yes, i thought it was clear - i have no sense of time, so i rely on timers, alarms and calendars (see red below) - i couldn't hover over a watch any more than over boiling water!
Egad, Petals, nooooo!  I'm the one who doesn;t want to hover to see when the water boils and this would have me hovering to maintain an exact temperature for the entire cooking time!!  Heaven forfend!. 

I'm not looking for the PERFECT egg, I'm just looking for the EASIEST way to get a DECENT egg.  No hovering, no waiting for water to boil, rough times, and easily monitored condition (water boiling, or not boiling).  I'm allergic to thermometers and scales.   I will use a timer though.  
Geez everyone and their complicated egg methods. Siduri you've been more than clear in what you are looking for here. Somehow the topic of eggs turns everyone into a NASA scientist lol.
Yeah, i opened a can of worms.  I only wanted a time.  I got it.  ten to fifteen minutes, which i can manage to figure out by the size (approximated, by eye) and quantity of water per egg (eyeballed again).  I'm glad at least nobody mentioned weighing eggs and water to make for even more perfect eggs. 

One of the things i learned in high school math and physics is that math is about abstract concepts (there is no "number 2" in the world - well, sesame street excluded) and that the answers to problems are precise.  Because they don;t refer to the world but to concepts.  But that physics and engineering is always approximate.  Even measuring with laser beams is approximate, because there is no hard line of objects but atoms, electrons, space.  If we're always approximating, i can simply decide how many decimal places of accuracy  i want my approximation to be.  and i always hated decimal places!

Michael, i'm sure the pressure cooker is easiest in your kitchen, where maybe there is space for everything.  What you don't know is that for me, with my pressure cooker behind a pile of pots that have to be pulled out at the bottom of a cabinet on the floor it's not easy bending, pulling out, putting back.  I rarely use it so there it stays, behind the pots i use a lot.  I don;t even boil eggs much, just for the occasional egg salad sandwich (rare) or summer potato salad or nicoise salad.  Maybe ten times a year?  so unless i have a lot of eggs to do i will unlikely pull it out for that, though your method makes perfect sense.   Usually at the most i need two to four eggs to finish the protein in a meal composed of potato salad or nicoise.   

And Pete, thanks for that advice which i hadn;t though of.  On the other hand,  i won't be doing a dozen eggs soon, though of course if i were running a professional kitchen i'd want to do that experiment.  also makes perfect sense. 

Last edited:
Joined May 21, 2013
You forgot my 13 minutes Siduri. Now i'm deeply offended. 

Of course, an invitation to spend a week in Rome can cure all offenses... ehem...

Nah. Seriously. Get 6 eggs, your usual sized eggs. Get a pot big enough, your usual pot. Boil the water, your water. Put the eggs in the pot. Close the stove. Pick up the first egg at 9 minutes and chill out, the second at 10 minutes, etc. etc. and see which one you like the more. No theory will help you more than a pragmatic experiment like this, with your eggs, your water, your pot and your own timing because the variables are too many.
I have been reading this thread with interest as sometimes my soft boiled eggs come out lovely, others not quite right.

Thanks for the above suggestion ordo, I did this and now know how long to cook large eggs for on my electric cooker /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Siduri,

Ha!!! Brilliant! But I am sure Siduri will be along shortly, not with half a dozen eggs but half a dozen reasons why that's a terrible idea
smile.gif
To my utter shame, I have to admit it took me an eternity to discover that my oven has a timer which works without putting the oven on!!! I suppose most ovens have a timer like this.

Now, I use that thing nearly... every day. Put something on the stove, oven timer set takes 2 seconds, run back to the computer until the alarm goes off, briljant. Now I just need something to watch the pot from boiling over.

Really, I'm sure many people don't realize how easy their oven timer works! And that thing is always available. So, no need to buy any kitchen timers, you already have one within reach.

dillbert

Banned
Joined Jul 2, 2008
<<giggle>>  just counted.

six timers + the wall oven.

well, devices, anyway.  one time has four individual timers that can be set to count up or down....

>>run back to the . . .

actually, I keep one time at the computer.  because I forget to set one and then...so with a timer at the computer I don't have to run back....

one of my favs is a timer that "keeps" its setting - like for waffles - my waffle iron takes seven minutes.

when it rings and I "cancel" the alarm it "resets" itself to seven minutes. just hit the go button again.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
I have a timer with a magnet back that sticks to the fridge. 

The cell phone timer is a pain in the neck to set, especially with wet or dough covered hands, which mine often are, ordo, and i prefer analogic everything, even found a microwave with a dial. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif   but if you're in rome, you ARE welcome to come.   I won't make boiled eggs, though. 

Joined Aug 21, 2004

wide mouth whistling tea kettle, put eggs in kettle, cold water start, turn heat to high, when pot whistles, turn heat off, let kettle sit for 12 minutes, pour off hot water and refill with ice and water

Joined Aug 13, 2006
Cheflayne, that's the first time anyone ever suggested the whistling kettle.   Great idea.  Probably i'll stick with my boiling water start method, but if i ever get a whistling kettle, i might just try it. 

Joined Oct 2, 2010
This morning I had a six minute egg plunged in boiling water. Oven timer, of course. All white nicely set and done, yolk warm and just a little thick, perfect to dunk a few soldiers in it. Bread soldiers  in case you wondered.

Top Bottom