boiling an egg with runny yoke

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Hi there
Is it posible to boil an egg in its shell and still have the yoke runny (this is for scotch eggs)

Thanks
BB

Joined Oct 31, 2012
In a pot of simmering water. You'll have to time them closely and use a few eggs by the trial and error method. A fully cooked hardboiled egg takes about eight minutes. So cook one for four minutes, cool in a bowl of ice and water, then try peeling it. If too soft, cook the next one a minute or two longer, If too hard, cook less. You'll eventually get it right.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
what about if I could some how get a raw egg to fill inside my scotch egg filling and fry it from raw while egg inside filling

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Go get two dozen eggs and try out all your ideas. If they don't work at least you've got something to eat.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I think what you're looking for is what the French call an oeuf mollet. It's essentially a poached egg in consistency, but it's cooked in the shell. Very useful and not difficult. I've been working on these for a while, because I love them, and here's what I know.

1. Prick the fat end of the shells with a pin. This allows the air in the chamber to bubble out as the egg heats, and generally prevents the shells cracking during cooking.

2. The water should start at a low boil, not quite fast enough that the eggs will rattle around and crack on the walls and floor of the pan, but as hot as possible below this. Cook for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook 5 minutes.

3. Immediately remove the eggs from the hot water and drop -- yes, drop: you don't have to be gentle with them any more, and in fact cracking the shells a bit is good -- them into a good bit of ice water. Leave them there for at least 15 minutes. At this point you can hold them in the fridge (or in the ice water) for a good 24 hours, possibly a lot longer.

4. Shell them from the fat end, carefully, under a little bit of cold running water.

The initial high boil hardens the outer parts of the white and makes them easier to shell. Reducing the heat after a minute helps the egg not get rubbery and sulfurous. The yolk should be very creamy and liquid when you cut into it, like that of a properly poached egg.

Suggestion for eating: nestle them in a big dish of cooked Swiss chard, cover lightly with a thin bechamel, sprinkle generously with grated Swiss-type cheese (Gruyere, Emmenthal, etc.), and run under a broiler for a couple of minutes until the top is brown and bubbly. In general you can treat the peeled eggs as you would a poached egg; to warm them by themselves, drop into gently-boiling water for 1 minute and proceed from there.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
didint work; complet waste of fucking food! smashed em up and chucked em in the bin

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-02-16 23-04-20.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-16 23-04-20.png
    668.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot from 2021-02-16 23-04-03.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-16 23-04-03.png
    619.2 KB · Views: 10
Joined Oct 9, 2008
Looks a bit overcooked. But the main thing: did they not peel? Can you describe what you did from the time they went into the ice water? Because I haven't had a miss with these in quite a while, even using fresh-laid eggs. So I'm surprised and would like to figure out why it's not working for you.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I had another go at it but played it safe this time boiling the egg for 6 minutes
As you can see there is some runny yoke but not a lot

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-02-17 17-27-48.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-17 17-27-48.png
    629.9 KB · Views: 3
Joined Jul 7, 2020
I platted the egg on top of a bed of fried sweet potato. The dish is completely cold. But thanks to our friend in China I was able to have cold crisps with out them being soggy when they go cold.
(only problem is I can not do this with full size chips). I also baked off a tomato in the over filling it with butter and parsley. The idea hear is when you cut into the egg and tomato all the juices are adsorbed by the crisps (infact it was his idea to severe the egg on top of the crisps ontop of some ham)

There are two pots of souses. The white one is supposed to be eaten with the egg and is 1 part cream to 2 parts yogurt with a squirt of garlic puree, finely grated cucumber and seasoned with mint. I got this recipe from "food wishes" over at youtube. Personally I am starting to get fed up with his recipes as I find them all an over kill. I preferred the last one I did which had no cucumber and instead of mint I used tyne

The brown sauce is a half pepper and half mustard saused I cooked off a while ago and is supposed to go with the pork pie I made

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-02-17 17-26-27.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-17 17-26-27.png
    706 KB · Views: 2
Joined Jul 7, 2020
Now the pork pie!
I got this recipe from "the great british bake off" over on you tube.
The flour is 100% strong flour and 2 parts lard to one part butter with added hot water. But it still dose not look the same as a typical port pie you get from the shop

The filling, I used cheap cooking bacon with onion and parsley and filled the pie after it was cooked with some jell I saved off when I was boiling off pork rind for my pork scraching. But again the filling dose not look anything like a pork pie out of the shop

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-02-17 17-27-18.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-17 17-27-18.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 1
Joined Jul 7, 2020
Same again, only this time I added chease to the tomato, little overdone I'm affrade

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-02-18 16-43-40.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-18 16-43-40.png
    653.1 KB · Views: 1
Joined Jul 7, 2020
I boiled this egg for 5 1/2 minutes (30 seconds less then yesterday)
And you can see there is more runny yoke then yesterdays one
I pealed it by cracking a knife round the centre then cracking the top of it and then removing the top half and then removed the bottom half after; As I think the weakest point of an egg is on the bottom

Will try doing 5 minutes tomorow, but I think that will be the limit

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-02-18 16-45-18.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-18 16-45-18.png
    596.5 KB · Views: 2
Joined Jul 13, 2012
When I was a kid my did would soft boil eggs then break them into a glass, top with a little butter, salt and pepper and stir them up with a spoon and it was delicious!

Top Bottom