Boiled Icing/Royal Icing

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by lpool, Nov 11, 2009.

1. lpool

lpool

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm beginning my annual cookie bake off for the holidays and I make sugar cookies to decorate with Royal Icing. This year I wanted to do a bit more intricate work and decided that I would make "fluffy Boiled Icing" from the recipe that was included with my Meringue Powder. It said that this recipe was perfect for writing and stringwork. Which is what I was going for. So it's megingue powder mixed with cold water. Then you make a syrup with granulated sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to to a boil for about 5 minutes and then add it to the first mixture and beat until stiff and glossy. Well it got glossy but never stiff. It's more like a flooding recipe than anything else. Now this recipe didn't call for any powdered sugar and I have seen other recipies that call for powdered sugar..could this be a mistake in the receipe? Can I add powdered sugar to what I have to make it stiffer? Any help would be appreciated.

2. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I suspect the sugar syrup needed a bit more of a boil to remove more of the water. Have fun with the cookies...I didn't bake this year due to health reasons and this made me sad. Very, very sad.

3. lpool

lpool

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks, I sort suspected as much. Made another batch and it turned out perfect. So lesson learned.