boil lettuce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by clairelv, Jun 10, 2015.

1. clairelv

clairelv

Exp:
    Home Cook
    maybe you have never tyied boil lettuce ,me either before today . i had it as lunch this noon . and i want to say it is different and taste good . 

wash your lettuce clear and waiting for the water boiled . then just put the lettuce in to the boiled water for one minute .and drop a few oil in it . then get it out of the water .drop a little soy sauce .

done 

light but fine

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Cooked lettuces are very good. Asian cultures don't eat raw lettuces I am told and many are stirred into dishes. I add lettuce to my cooking a lot. I will stir spinach or arugula in many pasta dishes, drop kale or escarole in soups, and boil dandelions and Swiss chard then dress them like salads. I even like to grill lettuce like romaine and radicchio.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Best with Romaine imho. Iceberg is very boring cooked. But then it's not particularly exciting raw either. 

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    " drop kale or escarole in soups, and boil dandelions and Swiss chard then dress them like salads. I even like to grill lettuce like romaine and radicchio."

As a kid I remember Nona always making us boiled escarole & dandelion greens, with a poached egg and parmesan cheese. She would give us bowls of raw greens, then go around the table and pour a little boiling water over them. After she grated the cheese she would go around and with a spoon drain the greens and pour the water into a cup. As we kids ate, she would put a couple of saccharin pill in her cup of greens water and drink it like hot tea. jeez I miss those days.

5. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Braised Romaine with a herbed broth and garden peas is lovely.  

clairelv likes this.
  6. bob the chef

bob the chef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I don't actually boil it but toss it in a little butter and then mix cooked garden peas with it.

Peas a la Francaise

very nice actually 

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've had the romaine in Chinese Hot Pots and found it quite good. 

8. clairelv

clairelv

Exp:
    Home Cook
    lettuces salads is great but i have never heard grill lettuce . interesting ....

9. clairelv

clairelv

Exp:
    Home Cook
    thank you for sharing . i love this type as well...

10. clairelv

clairelv

Exp:
    Home Cook
    yes ,it is .hot pots !!  good .