Body Odor!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by laprise, Feb 7, 2006.

1. laprise

laprise

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When I speak in school about becoming a chef, to keep the student captivated, I make them do role playing:

Today, I had one girl play the head chef, and she had to tell one of her great cook that she had received complaints from other cooks about his body odor!

This was hilarious, she(head chef) was not allowed to be rude to him(cook) since this cook was a great asset to the team. The idea was to show the students that people skills and diplomacy are both very important skills when you are the head chef:lol:

Anyone with similar situations??

2. andrew563

andrew563

well, I had a dishwasher who stunk, everyone knew it, and it fell to me to say something about it. I was pretty blunt, I said"Tommy, you stink, take a fricking shower before you come to work." It worked for a couple of days, and then he was back to his old stinky self. Oh well, he always showed up to work and never called in sick.

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Lapster,
    I think you have too much time on your hands.
    First off, your showing young people diplomacy?
    Let's be nice to this guy, because we need him!!!
    If we don't need this person then I guess people skills are out?
    This is a JOKE!
    I just let my 14yr old son read this. He said they would have called you on the carpet. He also gave you the benefit of the doubt and said these could have been 7 yr olds but he didn't think they even know about BO as he put it.
    Lapster! you can do better then this;)

4. laprise

laprise

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know exactly what you are saying, but anyway I had fun.

It's my way of helping, I go to my local high schools and speak about being a chef. I need to keep them interested or they will get bored:)

again, it's my way of giving back, what do you do? maybe you could do something like it in your area since your are pre-retiring:):)

Ciao

5. higjse

higjse

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    we had this one kid who washed dishes and prepped... he would seemingly only eat garbage.... Crusts of casserole pans, scraps of meat and grissel remaining on stock bones, gelatinous bottoms of overcooked soup bain maries etc.... Even when one of the other cooks and I offered to make him a meal he would decline and eat some scraps of a something out of the garbage.... One time, and I was not present to witness this, he supposedly walked by an associate of mine with a large bowl a white creamy substance... She realized there were no mashed potatoes put up for family meal so she followed and questioned and found out he was eating a bowl of about 3 pounds of mayonnaise... Eventually we had to let him go, albeit very gently because he did do his job and well, but because he was making the others who worked with him uncomfortable....

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am a high school culinary arts teacher. Rather than role playing (it's done in every class... students know what to expect) why not do an interactive demonstration? Or even get the students hands-on in prepping an item. We have guest chefs all the time... each one brings their speciality, be it a technique, food item, etc. Just some insight.

7. andrew563

andrew563

The same smelly disher I had would always eat the garbage also. Half eaten stuff off the plates and such. It drove me nuts. I offered to make him anything he wanted, and he went for the bustub buffett.

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Lapster,
    I was refering to this statement. My son caught it right away.He said, What if this person was not a great asset to the team? That's why I said their class would have called you on that. Our high schoolers don't seem to be bored. In fact they seem to be so much more well adjusted with career goals then any of us old timers were.
    I won't comment on what I do in our community, I praise you if you are donating your time. I just hope it's constructive. which I'm sure it is.
    Don't ever take my posts as negetive. I will always pm for that.
    I enjoy your posts, though I somehow feel they are guided to the sale of your book. You have thrown out some good topics for discussion, I just thought this one was a little off. Although I'm probably not a good judge, you may be right, I only have the one son and his school is not the norm.
    Although I am the hitting coach for JV and Varsity Baseball clubs at a local public high school.
    I'm glad you take me with a grain of salt.
    Hey, what about donating one of your books to the old pillsburry doughboy?:talk: