Body flush?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Feb 21, 2014.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Today my doctor put me on a body flush. Basically stop all solid foods, even pureed or blended. What's left is: 

- milk

- yoghurt, kefir

- soups (without any bits) -> I'm thinking I'm going to have a whole lot of Pho.

- juices

- soy, almond or rice milk

- oils (coconut, olive, flaxseed, cod liver)

That sounds very tough for this food lover here, but he promised me that it wouldn't be as hard as I thought, especially after the first few days are over. He said he has done that for 1 whole year once. WOW. 

I come hear to ask you if you've ever been through something like this? And if you have any other ideas besides the items I've already listed. 

Thank you!

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've had coworkers do similar things for 30 days, sort of homeopathic cleanses.  I didn't notice a difference in them really, but I wasn't privy to the sensitive moments of their lives that motivated them either. Which is where I suppose the results would be more observable.

Sounds more like a diet trying to deal with an extreme range of allergies and sensitivities to me though. 

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Against your will? For how long? And why? I'm just asking because it's difficult to make suggestions without knowing what the point of the fast is, whether it's religious in nature or what you hope the outcome will be. I have a friend who did a juice cleanse for a whole year and lost over 100lbs and claims he feels amazing. He's trying to balance juicing with eating but it seems like every time he dabbles in a bit of chewable food he gains weight so he goes right back to fasting. Doing anything for a little while is ok but long term can seem scary and restrictive beyond reason.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'll share John Pinette's experience with a cleanse in preparation for his role in Hairspray. Starts at about 2:18 

5. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm not a doctor but anything done in the extreme is un-healthy.

Extremes are to be avoided and this seems to just be as extreme as a 'protein' only diet.

It just doesn't make any logical sense...  if you're chasing a food allergy then fine do a 3-4  day fast with only water and one kind of juice that is 'known' safe to your body.  Then add things in...and keep an eye on problems.

What is this in response to?  If too personal then say so.  Seems like a fad to me...

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't see how a diet with zero fiber could be good for you, especially for a year. But I suppose that doesn't answer your question. You might consider juicing fresh vegetables to make up for nutrients you will otherwise lose. Also, why is it OK to have kefir or yogurt but under the types of milk there is no dairy? Can you have cottage cheese?

It's hard to give any ideas not knowing what the diet is trying to solve and the items you list seem contradictory to me?

7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Were it me, i think i'd immediately go into 'dessert mode' until i came out the other side of denial.....think of the possibilities though......pots de creme, creme caramel, chocolate mousse, panna cotta, sabayon, affogato, thai iced tea,ice cream, frozen yogurt,ice cream, chai mousse,and gelato!...and that's just for breakfast!! All kidding aside FF and not to pry but were it me,i'd be looking for a second and third opinion and i do so urge you to open the door to Chinese medicine as well as acupuncture......just curious,with the juice flush/detox you are looking at where would you get your protein from? You have children, right? I'm sure you know your energy level will be -40 below for a while.....you sure?

joey
    i'm guessing wine is not on your can eat list......:((

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm a former chiro and have taught Health Science for several years.  Should you decide on the course listed above or an outright fast, go very very easy on consuming protein when you return to "normalcy" because your body can have a severe adverse reaction to that protein.

9. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Gout?

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Why is that? Fiber is not digested by the human body, its function is to help the stool form and travel through the colon. If you don't have stools, you don't need fibers? 
    No, alcohol (and coffee) are not on the list. :(

Chinese medicine? AFAIK regular fasting is a recommendation of Chinese medicine. I'll have to research that a little more. 

Eating liquid only doesn't mean I'm going to watch my calorie intake, so I'm not sure my energy level would drop? AFAIK all nutrients are either water-soluble or fat-soluble, and I can have both, so I don't think I'd be nutrient deprived if I pay attention to what I drink? Protein shakes could be part of the flush, but I'd rather drink Pho, or broths I make myself, I'm sure they're packed with protein? 
    Why? It's not like I'm going to stop consuming that protein? For example, if I drink chicken stock for two weeks, why would my body have an adverse reaction to eating chicken after those two weeks?
    Which items and why?
    Dairy milk is ok too, it's just that I don't drink a lot of it usually, but I could start drinking more. Cottage cheese I don't know. 

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  11. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    being pragmatic, you might find it a lot easier, quicker and whacking multiple birds in a single bound -

volunteer for a colonoscopy.

they do clean-outs good . . .

12. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You need a good clean out and your doctor suggests this? Is this the first course of action? A fiber laxative would be a lot healthier.  I believe we are designed to eat food. That's why we have teeth. I'd be pretty suspicious of this doctor. My grandpa had colon cancer and before surgery wasn't even restricted like this. He didn't eat for a day and then drank about a gallon of some electrolyte and laxative.

"Fiber is not digested by the human body, its function is to help the stool form and travel through the colon. If you don't have stools, you don't need fibers?"

You DO know babies poop, right? Even before they start eating solids.

I cared for my grandma while she was dying and she continued to have bowel movements until she died even though she was not eating. 

Even while juicing or other liquid diets you can still become constipated. This is a very common side effect. Just google "constipated while juicing." 

http://www.webmd.com/diet/liquid-diets

From WEBMD-Liquid Diets "A lack of fiber in your diet from not eating whole fruits and vegetables  can lead to constipation  and other digestive ailments."

In sum, nearly everything I have ever read by reputable health experts, stresses the necessity of fiber for a healthy colon, NOT the elimination of it. You don't actually say you're constipated. If you are not, then you are already "cleaned out."

13. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    FF, I tend to agree with MichaelGA, I myself don't do any extreme diets.  

As to doing any fasting at all, as suggested in many asian cultures,

we seem to find ourselves fasting without even realizing it,

here and there we just don't feel like eating, so we don't,  just drink alot of water.  

14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was a vegetarian for quite some time, did eggs and dairy, though.  At a Labor Day picnic at a friend's house I broke down and ate a big cheeseburger.  It was VERY tasty.  I was VERY sick for the next two or three days.

mjb.

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The immune system is programmed to respond and attack proteins that it considers foreign and not your own, and not marked with your identity as it were.  Each cell that your own body has produced, has a marker that identifies it as your own.  And the immune system will attack a cell or organism that lacks your "identity marker".  THAT'S the basis of transplants and immunosuppressive drugs.

I believe that some there were some victims of the concentration camps who succumbed to some sort of "body shutdown" shortly after rescue when they consumed protein; they passed as a result of the body's immune system attacking whatever the immune system attacked.  Following a fast you should stick to juices, either fruit or veggie, and S...L...O...W...L...Y begin to consume small amounts of protein.

And I've heard it recommended by veteranarians to follow that same regime (low protein dry food) when adopting felines of unknown origin (I'm a dyed in the wool cat person).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  16. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A friend of mine went on a juices an soups diet for a week or so. He said it was amazing, tho the first days he felt pretty dizzy.

I do not believe in diets. There's a kinda Chinese saying: eat a portion the size of you fist, and walk.

I'm sorry the saying says nothing about champagne drinking.

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    @kokopuffs  is there a difference between the protein you get from chicken stock and the proteins you get from a chicken breast?

18. eloki

eloki

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  19. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Case in point. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

20. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Where in the diet are you getting ANY fiber? I didn't see any.