boast

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by moxiefan, Jan 31, 2002.

1. moxiefan

moxiefan

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I am an amateur cook and an aspiring culinarian. A recent night out had my friends and I trying to design a friendly week-end cookoff of sorts, and I'm afraid a bit of braggartting got me in over my head. The challenge: a desert featuring one of my favourite ingredients -- gin. (NOT my idea) Gin and sweet are not things I consider terribly compatible. I've been thinking something in a lime sorbet, but that's not really sexxy enough to win the challenger's aquiesence. Goodness knows what he's up to. I've considered dressing it up with a pastry of some sort (perhaps something in a scone?), but I'm not so sure that would work. Any advice would be appreciated, anyway.

Thanks,
    P

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about a Gin and Lemon Souffle crepe with chopped cranberry spikes.

Canadian Gin and Maple Fool

Just a thought:eek:

3. moxiefan

moxiefan

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Cranberry! now that's an idea. Not a big fool fan, though.

Thank you very very much. Victory is Mine!

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Let us know what you do and how you do. Aslo consider using a lightened Lemon Gin Curd if you do a souffle crepe.

Orange/Gin Crepes. Crepes sauteed in Orange MArmalade and flamed with Gin. I likes me some crepes:D

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    The main flavoring agent of gin is juniper berries. Beef stroganoff is often flavored with gin or juniper. Beef stroganoff is smoothed with sour cream. Juniper-infused sour cream ice cream, against a cranberry-black pepper granita?

6. isa

isa

How about a gin and topic jello...

7. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know about that one. When I was in high school (it was a private school, I lived on dorm) my roomie came back from the weekend with a fifth of Tanqueray. With nothing to mix it with he came up with some Tang. Alas nothing to mix the Tang in, so we poured the powdered Tang into the bottle of gin itself and ended up with gelatinous Tang flavored Gin. To this day whenever I pass a bottle of Tanqueray I aplologize to it:(

8. moxiefan

moxiefan

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    That Gin and Tang thing is pretty bad.

My first year of Univeristy (we can drink at 18 in Qubec -- usually much more civilized) I always left my door unlocked so my floormates could use my TV whenever they wanted -- nobody else had brought one. One night I came back to my room to find the kid who lived down the hall helping himself to my bar. Always willing to share, I wasn't particularly concerned except that my bar wasn't what one could call well stocked. Turns out he'd mixed all the leftovers together -- sexxy glassware and all-- to form the most diabolical concoction I can imagine: Sambucca, sweet vermouth and olive brine, garnished, of course, with an onion. He claimed it was good. I didn't venture it, but I started locking my door shortly thereafter.

cheers,
    P

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    gin and grapefruit sorbet. Ate plenty of it, even better with cranberry added. I would'nt bake anything with it, won't you loose the alcohol?

10. isa

isa

Really I do have a recipe for a gin tonic gelatine, it's from UK.

11. moxiefan

moxiefan

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

This was the weekend, and here's what I did:

Green apples, cored and sliced cross-wise, tempura'd and reassembled, more or less.

I found unsweetend dried cranbarries (what's the deal with "Crasins" anyway?), soaked those in Gin until they were soft(er), and mixed the same into a simple syrup.

I got points for presentation, which was pretty good. People seemed to like it okay... I thought the sauce tasted rather like cough syrup.

Anywho, the competition was ... Lime Gin Sorbet! Much, I think, tastier... but no flair presentation-wise.

all in all the "competition," which was mild, went in my favor.

Thanks again!
    P