Chef Forum banner

Blueberries in a Savory/Veggie dish.

990 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cheflayne 
#1 ·
So I found some decent Blueberries, recently; Not so tangy that they overpower the Blueberry flavor, but not to so sweet that they're Bleh. The Problem is their texture. They are pretty Dry and REALLY seedy. Thus they're not really great for eating.

So I thought about trying to do something with them, but I don't have anything to make Jam and I kinda suck at just baking Bwhahaha! I started looking for Alternative uses for them, and found that alot of fruits that have strong flavors like this, but not to suited for cooked are used in things like Stews, Roasts or Veggie dishes (I.E. a Pineapple that's to stringy, or an Apple thats to dry, etc etc)

Unfortunately, It seems there's not really alot of examples of Blueberries being used as a mix-in for a salad/Pasta (like a chicken blueberry Alfredo) or used in a condiment or sauce (Blueberry Chipotle BBQ). I really don't have the Experience with this kinda thing (or cooking with fruits in general) to start experimenting myself, So I wanted to ask anyone if they had any good ideas or examples I could try.

#2 ·
Blueberries like most berries will go GREAT with anything wild and gamey, like venison, duck, bison etc. Or it could be mixed in a quinoa salad or couscous salad. Or nearly anywhere you'd use raisins for example. Beware of the color in that case though, I'm not sure all that blue would be very appetizing in a whole dish, so I'd recommend somehow adding them at the last minute so they don't color the starch.

#3 ·
You could use them in a balsamic vinaigrette. I do that with blueberries that are not top notch.

You can also add them to pancakes or mash them up and mix them with a little sugar or honey and use it as a spread.

#4 ·
Grilled duck breast with a blueberry ginger sauce

Tuna loin seasoned with gomasio and Szechuan peppercorns, pan seared rare, thinly sliced, with a blueberry teriyaki sauce and served with seaweed salad

Mesclun tossed with a blueberry lavender vinaigrette and topped with thinly sliced fennel, fuyu persimmon, and toasted almonds

Vidalia sweet onion stuffed with mustard greens, sweet potatoes, and green cabbage, then baked and topped with a creole blueberry mustard sauce

Shrimp seasoned with togarashi, curled around fresh pineapple, then wrapped with bacon; grilled and drizzled a with wasabi blueberry syrup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.