Blue food

Joined May 24, 2009
Our chef gave us these rules the other day:
"Never a straight line, never an even number, and no blue food."

I don't know where he got this (maybe one of you dinosaurs has heard it before ;)) Anyways I'm attempting to make a legitimate dish that violates all of his rules. The first too are easy. I was thinking a cobb salad with an even number of rows, but blue food is not easy to make.

I've had moderate success steaming red cabbage and then refrigerating it. This turns the cabbage a nice blueish color. Does anybody else have any ideas on making blue food? Keep in mind food coloring is cheating (even if its already in the liquor) and blueberries aren't blue enough. Thanks!

Joined Feb 1, 2007
One problem is that blue food usually doesn't stay that way. For instance, blue (actually purple) snap beans turn green when you cook them. And blue potatoes go more of a gray.

Question: Why are you looking to pick a fight with chef?

Joined Apr 5, 2007
For blue potatoes (such as caribe, sic?) boil or steam them in their skins the day before you intend to use them. Let them rest in the fridge overnight. Gently peel off the skins and you will be astonished how blue they are.

--Al

Joined May 29, 2006
When I served my apprenticship, which was a long time ago, the chefs always told us "never attempt to make anything Blue in our cooking' as there was no blue food. Also the color blue was not eye appealing on a plate, because patrons new it was fake.??????

Joined Mar 16, 2005
cooking certain vegetables sous vide will help them retain their colour, especially coloured potatoes.

Joined Oct 16, 2008
I have heard the saying before on more than one occasion. As to the "blue foods" You may want to use Blueberries, Peruvian Potato, Blackberries(they turn a blue color) and cabbage. But why on earth would you want to pick a fight as asked earlier.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
I teach (not cooking) and when a student manages to prove me wrong, I consider that I have a very smart student (and that I've been a very good teacher).

I think any teacher should be hoping to find the student that can go beyond him and show him to be wrong - that's what teaching is about. It's not about making clones.

Joined Jan 8, 2008
the food detective guy did a test and there are really no blue foods.

Blue Curacao....should....never......be used....in a cocktail.....

Joined Oct 18, 2007
The way I read the OP, the Chef didn't say it can't be done.
The Chef said don't do it.

I wouldn't.

Joined Jan 8, 2008
man, if all teachers felt like you I'd have been in trouble MUCH LESS in highschool/middle school.

reminds me of this.

via-fukungdotnet.jpg

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Putting blue aside, what really bugs me is that "no even numbers" thing.

I understand it from a graphic arts point of view. Even numbers can be static and dull, whereas odd numbers are active and energetic. So we use, for instance, 5 shrimp in a shrimp cocktail presentation.

However, when we're out with another couple and order a mixed appetizer platter for four and there are three of an item, or five, or even seven, it just doesn't make sense. Four of us cannot divide three items equally.

Rules should be tools, not shackles. That's a lesson the chef needs to learn. What the OP needs to learn is that ultimately there are only two rules in the kitchen:

Rule #1: The chef is always right.
Rule #2: For those times the chef is wrong, see Rule #1.

Joined Oct 18, 2007
I think besides the aesthetics, that is done for just that reason, so that it creates a sense of loss ("I wanted one!").
Hopefully this promotes another sale.
Usually not, in my experience, but that's one reason I've always heard touted.

Joined Oct 16, 2008
The first rule that any young cook or apprentice should learn, practice and remember. A kitchen isnt a democracy, its a dictatorship and the chef is the dictator. See rules 1 and 2 above when in doubt.

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Jim, that would certainly be true if there were four diners and three of an item. But when it five---a fairly common occurance in my experience?

But, even when it's only 3, we don't place another order. We just get pissed off at the poor presentation.

Joined May 24, 2009
Some good thoughts people, thank you. I'll play around with blue potatoes, blue liquor though is really no better than blue food coloring imo. Someone else I asked suggested blue corn chips. I've got some experiments to run!

To answer the other question, I'd never undermine the chef in order to pick a fight and I'd never serve food he didn't approve of from his kitchen either. My chef does however have a good sense of humor and this is just a tongue-in-cheek experiment.

Top Bottom