blender recommendations

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by danimalarkey, Oct 7, 2005.

1. danimalarkey

danimalarkey

I didn't see another link about this, so here goes -

I need a blender. Something for soups, purees, maybe an occassional (really, I swear!) frozen margarita. Is Waring the only way to go, or can a cheaper model also get the job done?

On Overstock, they currently have a Breville Moda blender for $80 - is that a good buy from a good brand?

Thanks,
    dan

2. skilletlicker

skilletlicker

The Osterizer I bought a few years ago has made enough margarita batches to cause the disappearance of several saltshakers. I got it at target for something like $39 or $49. I would have preferred a glass container.

3. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    My wife developed a fondness for Starbucks Frappucinos that threatened bankruptcy. I went went to a restaurant supply place for a blender so I could do 'em at home.

They directed me to a display featuring the "Margarita Master" blender; they said eight of them were behind the bar of every Hooters restaurant in the country. Sounded like just the ticket.

Looked beautiful... and cost two hunderd fifty bucks! :eek: According to the rating sticker, it was more powerful than the motor on my cabinet-style table saw.

I settled for a HamiltonBeach "commercial" model rated at 10 amps. It was "just" $100, but I've saved a fortune on Frappucinos. Makes a nice frozen 'rita and Daq, too. It's a little slow in really grinding the ice cubes, though, so I usually put them in a Baggie and pound them a little with the flat face of my meat mallet just to save time and cut down on the noise.

Mike :cool:

4. danimalarkey

danimalarkey

"They directed me to a display featuring the "Margarita Master" blender; they said eight of them were behind the bar of every Hooters restaurant in the country. Sounded like just the ticket."

Shoot - if it's good enough for Hooter's...

^_^

Thanks for the pointers, both of you. I think I'm off to Target.

-dan