Bleeding on food product is it OK to still use?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by demzzy, Jan 18, 2018.

OK?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. demzzy

demzzy

Exp:
    So yesterday my chef was us how to fillet salmon. And she nickied herself on bone bled all over the cutting board and fish, and she said "oh, It's ok just wash it off" what do you guys think? Ok or no, oh ah also she made us use scallops from the frezer but the date ws 1/17/17 is th ok?

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sanitation wise no it is not ok but it is a simple question would you want to eat salmon that someone bled all over?

sgsvirgil likes this.
  3. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I googled the safety of frozen scallops and apparently according to google they can keep indefinitely. Mind you I wonder what the taste and quality of them would be after so long..

The thing with blood and I am sure it is the same whether it is human or animal blood is that listeria spores are known to breed in it and given the right conditions can contaminate the food and cause a listeria outbreak. So in the case of a cut that causes blood to be shed the right thing to do is discard the food immediately and wash and sanitize the untensils involved as well as the work area. Anything less than that would be negligent in my opinion.

hrmn, kuan and linecookliz like this.
  4. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm sure someone here smarter than me can tell you what blood borne diseases wouldn't be washed off with water.

hrmn and linecookliz like this.
  5. Vjan

Vjan

Exp:
    13 years cooking
    Hi,
    Reading this scares me. There are certain sicknesses that can be transferred through bodily fluids (Hep. B for example). The simplest form of not protecting your self (think touching dirty cutlery with a paper cut on your hands and no gloves) can make the difference in personal safety.
    i don't mean to be "extreme" with my reply, but honestly if you ate it, how would you feel finding this out?

As far as the scallops go, i agree with Ieeniek.

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Back in the day, the Chef would wrap a cloth around the cut, wash off the blood and continue on. Now-a-days the entire HACCP team has to be called, all production stopped and the area sanitized before work can resume.

sgsvirgil and pete like this.
  7. seabeecook

seabeecook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ah no! Why do you think hospitals, corrections and many other organizations spend so much time on universal precautions?

8. Vjan

Vjan

Exp:
    13 years cooking
    Haha. Yes but they also used to think Jellied Salmon Loaf was a good idea too.

katbalou likes this.
  9. hookedcook

hookedcook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Serious, as the only professional chef forum on the internet, we have a vote yes/no if its ok to bleed in the food you are serving???

10. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lol I had the same thought.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  11. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Right on.

12. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Really? Is this the only professional chef forum on the internet?

13. hookedcook

hookedcook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe there is more? But years ago when I had a real question this was the site that popped up. Still lost in the Caribbean and have never owned a smart phone. I'm out of the loop

14. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    ^^^^^ Glad you found us. :)

15. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I would say that the same is also true of any other bodily fluid like sweat, saliva, runny nose and sneezing on the food.

16. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    In my opinion your chef is moronic. You never do anything like that...ever. Has your chef been tested for HIV?

17. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Before I answer this seemingly Either/or question, I'd like the OP to come back and clarify their rhetoric. "nicked her finger on bone" and "bled all over the fish and cutting board. You can't nick a finger to the bone. Either you nick the finger or you cut your finger clear to the bone. A nick doesn't bleed so much right away. A bone deep cut doesn't lend itself to standing around discussing food safety.
    Did the chef really bleed "all over" or are we really talking about a drop or two?
    I think the clarification is important. As a veteran of too many cuts, both minor and severe, I know the first thing I do is Swear and pull my hand away from everything immediately and wrap it in something. Then I wait for the shock to pass and then inspect my injury to see if I'll need stitches. Then I check to see if I've bled on anything.
    As I usually manage to achieve nicking my finger while cutting an onion, if I notice a drop or two of blood on the onions, I'll throw them out. If I cut myself badly enough to potentially "bleed all over", the finger is already bleeding through the towel or apron or whatever is wrapped around it. I'm not letting it bleed all over anything.
    So anyway...,

sgsvirgil likes this.
  18. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We need a separate poll for each bodily fluid...

drirene likes this.
  19. hookedcook

hookedcook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Give me and Giada 20 minutes alone in the kitchen and you have your first sample.. LOL

Jet1wa1 likes this.
  20. markos sdranis

markos sdranis

Exp:
    apprenti
    I think op means his chef cut her finger on a fish bone, although it would take extra effort to cut yourself deep enough to bleed all over the fish and the cutting board with a fish bone.