Blanched Snap Peas Yellowing

Joined Jul 23, 2020
Hello all, this is my first post.... I make a salad of julienned (blanched) snap peas - I blanch/shock in the morning - by evening they have lost their bright green color - I've stored them in zip locs, in tupper ware and in steam table pans - some how they are browning (oxydizing?) - i'm wrapping the container in plastic - could it be lack of oxygen? Can someone help me keep my peas green?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Please describe your blanching process. Peas should be blanched for no more than 90 seconds in boiling water (depending on their size) and immediately placed in ice cold water to stop the cooking process.

Is there a reason why the peas are not used immediately after blanching? Generally, you'll want to blanch the peas immediately before using or freezing them. :)

Cheers!

Joined Apr 29, 2019
bit of bicarb of soda helps most bright greens (asparagus, broccoli, fine beans etc) keep their stark colour for longer. Just put about a teaspoon per kilo in the boiling liquid just before dropping. Careful of the pots fullness as itll froth up a lot

Joined May 5, 2010
bit of bicarb of soda helps most bright greens (asparagus, broccoli, fine beans etc) keep their stark colour for longer. Just put about a teaspoon per kilo in the boiling liquid just before dropping. Careful of the pots fullness as itll froth up a lot

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, add baking soda to the water because it removes all the good vitamins and nutrients from the vegetables

Joined Apr 29, 2019
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, add baking soda to the water because it removes all the good vitamins and nutrients from the vegetables
and this affects a restaurants prerogative..how?

at home, sure. But this is a restaurant setting, and in restaurants its all for show.

Joined Jul 23, 2020
Please describe your blanching process. Peas should be blanched for no more than 90 seconds in boiling water (depending on their size) and immediately placed in ice cold water to stop the cooking process.

Is there a reason why the peas are not used immediately after blanching? Generally, you'll want to blanch the peas immediately before using or freezing them. :)

Cheers!
They are snap peas - blanched for 60 secs - or so - shocked in ice bath - shaved and used for salads later - catering - so food is prepped ahead.

Joined Jul 23, 2020
I will try this - thank you!

Top Bottom