Blanc-manger — 600 years of history

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bouland, Sep 2, 2003.

1. bouland

bouland

A while back I got interested in blanc-manger, which turned out to be at around in some form for at least 600 years. My research resulted in an article detailing the history. I hope you get a chance to read it.

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow Bouland, excellent and interesting as always!!!

How lond did it take you to compose that article?

There is an extensive reference to the colouring of the dishes in France in 14th century in Sharah Peterson's Acquired Tastes.

In that book she identifies the origins of French Kitchen to the Alexandrian Alchemists since the French of 14th ce used to colour their dishes gold with the help of saffron.

Thanks for the article :)

3. bouland

bouland

About a month, on and off, including all the research. I’m fortunate to have access to the humanities library at Stanford University. One of the books I found there is an Old French to English dictionary. This really helped with the older recipes.

BTW, I just found a 5-volume cookbook by Carème there that I'm starting to “try” to read in a couple of days.

4. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you bouland

Yes a good library is essential when you are studying History of Food.

I think that you are doing a great job. Have you counted how many visitors you have to your site?

5. bouland

bouland

Currently about 75,000 visitors a year; down from close to 100,000 last year.

6. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    That's good!!!! Are you happy with that?

7. bouland

bouland

Not really. I'd like to have many, many more visitors. I do get a lot of nice comments sent to me that keep me going.

8. tuboe

tuboe

Wow, I enjoyed your article, it was vary informative.

Ken

9. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    bouland,fantastic article!Please keep up the good work my friend.Doug.......

10. linda stradley

linda stradley

:) What a great job you did in researching blanc-manger. A very interesting and educational article. Thank you for sharing it with us. I can tell it was a "labor or love" and took a great deal of time to write this article.

Linda Stradley

11. al3xutu

al3xutu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i need informations about antonie careme and it cake`s pls help meee
    pm to [email protected] ...

Danke!!:bounce::bounce:

12. starlord

starlord

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thank you for this information. As a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism and being very interested in medieval cookery, I found this very illuminating.

I have been told that the Arizona State University library, in Tempe, AZ, has quite a section of medieval cooking, so I am going to have to visit there soon.

Always finding out something new, like macaroni and cheese being a period dish. I found a recipe from 11th century England for noodles with cheese. Upon following the recipe, I found I had a dish very similar to today's macaroni and cheese.

If anyone has, or comes across any recipes or translations of recipes from the Middle Ages, I would appreciate you sending them to me at [email protected].