Blackberry

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by gbhunter, Jul 25, 2005.

1. gbhunter

gbhunter

I combined two things I love. Photography and cooking (this is just a prelim photo).
    The question I have is how to makes the black berry sauce more intense!
    The taste of the cake overpowers the taste of the sauce by a mile. I thought about mixing the sauce with some reduced black berry wine but have not tried it. What do you guys do?
    Please write fast it seems the cheesecake is vanishing out of my fridge!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/shellan...cture_0399.jpg

2. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Have you tried adding creme de cassis? I add it to my blackberry sorbet and it helps to intensify and round out the flavour. Your cheesecake looks to die for.

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    It is most difficult to equal the flavor or richness of cheesecake. One can only compliment the CC. You can try to reduce some more to intensify and remember the pinch of salt. I always judge the amount of bites, and add the same amount of fresh fruit. This way the eater can grab a piece of fresh fruit and puree with each bite. I'm personally not a CC fan. It seems to be the challenge of how rich can you get it. Although that was the idea behind it in the first place I believe. Make the richest cake possible for the Queen.
    Nice looking dessert!!

4. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Next time, try a squeeze of lemon juice. The xtra acid can sometimes work wonders for a flat tasting puree.

5. zukerig

zukerig

Ah, it’s that time of the year when the hedgerows are full of blackberries! I buy mine directly from a farm, whose owners pick them with gentle tugs.

As for the Crème de Cassis, I concur with Mangilao30’s keen suggestion. The past couple of weeks, I’ve added this fine liqueur to several of my blueberry desserts (buckle, cobbler, grunt, and slump); my preferred brand for many years has remained Vêdrenne Supercassis. Another fine blackcurrant product is produced in England by Bramley & Gage.

Other spirit pairings I would recommend for blackberries include the ne plus ultra Blanca de Navarra – an authentic blackberry liqueur; the luscious black-raspberry liqueur, Chambord Royale; blueberry liqueurs, such as the grappa-based De Negri Mertillo; and certainly the grappa-based plum version marketed as La Prugna. Delicioso! Alternatively, perhaps you could locate a bottle of Lyme Bay Damson Liqueur?

Rosewater (be sure to buy the triple-filtered variety if you want good flavor!) would also be helpful to boost the overall taste of the blackberry sauce. Use it in equal measure with the eau-de-vie of your choice.

Spices that pair nicely with blackberries are cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger; also consider lemon verbena.