Black / White truffles preservation and turning into paste

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Marek Balun, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Marek Balun

Marek Balun

Exp:
    Amateur
    Hello,

I would like to ask how can you turn your fresh truffles either white or black into a paste. Maybe mushrooms and oil ? What mushrooms would you usr and how would you preserve it to last few months without opening and not loosing the flavour of truffles ?
    When preserving them is kilner jar good option ?

Thank you for every answer.

2. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What application would you be using the paste for? I'm not quite sure why you would take very expensive fresh truffles and turn them into a paste to hold for months at a time. There are tons of mixes, butters and oils that would achieve that for you.

3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There is a university in Oregon that engages in truffle science, there was a particular truffle company whose website had lots of info, my quick google just now did not find them. Oregon Truffles appear to be fetching $50/ounce at this time, but the season I think really begins in November. Are you truffling?

I'd guess mash into paste in the presence of oil and salt, keeping all ingredients cold, then seal container. Heat is what releases the gas which is responsible for the unique truffle flavor, and you don't want to loose any of that before the salt and oil can pick it up. Haven't tried fresh Truffle yet, but I understand that eaten cold they simply taste like a mushroom, then the heat of your stomach takes effect and you burp truffle gas.

4. Marek Balun

Marek Balun

Exp:
    Amateur
    To get better quality paste that then can be used for pasta and everything really you would do with fresh truffles

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Potted mushrooms would be easily adapted to this purpose.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's not food safe. Recipe for botulism.

flipflopgirl likes this.