Chef Forum banner

Black pudding AKA boudin noir... love or hate it?

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  ishbel 
#1 · (Edited)
I wonder how many of you eat (or, ever ate) black-pudding and what's your opinion on it?

Please understand the one I cooked is a very artisanal product. The butchershop where I buy this, announces "fresh black-pudding" and in a few hours, it's all sold out. I bought some last week. We consider these a real delicatesse. These are also quite soft when warmed up. Many eat them cold when still compact. Don't worry, they are always sold after a poaching process and a cooling/setting period.

These are just warmed up in some butter on low heat or they will burst. Impossible to fry slices also, they will fall apart when warming them up. When cut, they look as in the picture; the filling slowly gets out.

I served them with a tower made of layers of thin potato-slices cooked 10 minutes or so in chickenstock, alternated with layers of slowly panfried very thin onionrings until caramalized. Topped with applewedges, first panfried in butter for a while, then added a few tbsp's of sugar and a pinch of 5-spices; stirfry until caramelized. Yummie!

See less See more
#2 ·
looks good, never had it.. and am totally willing to try it....ship me two fresh orders please.

#3 ·
I have only had it a handful of times, and each time it was the German version blutwurst. I think it's quite tasty, but I've known several people that just can't get over the fact that it's made from blood. Guess that just doesn't bother me much.

#4 · (Edited)
Love it in its many forms, particularly the Korean version, "soon dae."

Here's a picture from my favorite soon dae specialty restaurant, Seoul Soon Dae in Artesia (California).

The top plate has the soon-dae (on the left) and some other meats, mostly offal of one sort or another. The bottom plate is mostly pig feet.

The beverage is soju.

BDL

#6 ·
When I grew up they used to serve it at school lunch about once a month, with warm apple sauce. It was a good day when we had boudin noir! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
And to think, we got excited when it was grilled cheese day. American school food is way behind!

#8 ·
Scottish black pudding is considered a delicacy.  Have to admit, I don't like it. preferring a white pudding.  It's a favourite fish n chip shop item in a 'supper'!

I often cook it as a component of a 'Full Scottish breakfast' for members of the family from foreign climes.... most leave it on the side of the plate!

#9 ·
There are so many different "blqck puddings".  It seems every country has its own version.

Ishbel,     Scotland has a few variations. Dont give up on them all but for one try. The majority are compact and pretty samey. Cant say they're terribly inspirational.

BUT you really need to try the black pudding from Dingwall or Stornaway Amazing. They are both quite loose. Lots of oatmeal and the Dingwall one is very spicy. You can get the Stornaway one at the deli in Perth,or the isle of lewis. The Dingwall one at my butcher in Dundee.Or the north ofScotland

I was dragged up in Harrogate in Yorkshire, where the black pudding was full of chunks of white, chewy fat. Totally loved it. Very different

In Dundee it's traditionally served with a runny fried egg on top. Stick that in a roll and im a happy bunny

#10 ·
The black pudding and fried egg in a 'well-fired' breakfast roll has long been a favourite here in Edinburgh, too, Bughut....   usually with a dollop of tamata soss...

I've TRIED to like it, and have experimented with lots of varieties...    I'm still not keen.

Now... a white pudden?  Noo yer talkin, hen!

#11 ·
Chris, Ilove your idea to accompany the back pudding, The juicy sausage trying to burst out of its skin bothered me a bit at first, as the potato, onion and apple tower seemed too elegant for such a rustic element. But it does look totally yummy.

Does the sausage lend itself to being emptied out into a ring too and cooked off that way. I was thinking of a coupleof towers with layers of potato,black pudding, apple and onion. Just an idea.

#12 · (Edited)
Does the sausage lend itself to being emptied out into a ring too and cooked off that way. I was thinking of a coupleof towers with layers of potato,black pudding, apple and onion. Just an idea.
I don't think so, because once cooked it falls apart, so unless there is a casing or something else to hold it together, it will just spread out on the plate like Mexican chorizo.

And am I the only one who doesn't find the idea of apples & potatoes very appetizing? One or the other, but both together? Yuck.

#15 ·
You don't like latkes and apple sauce? Oy.

BDL
I never thought of it as a great combination, it's probably cultural, I'm sure I'd think differently if I was born and raised in NY. But at least in that example the texture difference helps the flavor combination. But would you serve apple sauce with mashed potatoes? Or sauteed apple slices with sauteed potato slices?

#16 ·
You don't like latkes and apple sauce? Oy.

BDL
I never thought of it as a great combination, it's probably cultural, I'm sure I'd think differently if I was born and raised in NY. But at least in that example the texture difference helps the flavor combination. But would you serve apple sauce with mashed potatoes? Or sauteed apple slices with sauteed potato slices?
sauteed apple slices with sauteed potato slices sound good.

#20 · (Edited)
I had no idea there were asian versions too. Even in my utterly small country there are many variations in size and structure. And, for the British/Scottish friends; I'm a hugh fan of the BBC programs like Masterchef and Great British Menu. Indeed, I've already seen many times chefs presenting a slice of blackpudding with a scallop on top. Although unknown over here, sounds yummie to me!

Anyway, any simply panfried pork sausage served with caramelized apples and a humble boiled potato sounds like heaven to me. Also... red cabbage, cooked slowly together with some (read: a lot) sweet apples, some soft darkbrown sugar and a good dash of vinegar...

#21 ·
I love Masterchef, too - and watch the Aussie version, although it is much more about the hype than the individual cooking skills of the contestants!

I believe there is to be an American version soon with Gordon Ramsay as the John Torode. Whilst I love his cooking, I just don't think he's suitable for that format.

Toad in the hole would probably be a dish you'd love, ChrisB! Or my version of sausage and mash, served with onion and carrot gravy./img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

#22 ·
Ishbel, I watched every edition of the last "Masterchef, The Professionals" just a few weeks ago on BBC. Waaaaaaw, sen-sa-tio-nal finale! I wouldn't have known on whom to put my money; David or the girl who won. Absolutely amazing cooks, both of them. And, I love the judging by Michel Roux Jr. What a professional!

#24 ·
Ishbel, I watched every edition of the last "Masterchef, The Professionals" just a few weeks ago on BBC. Waaaaaaw, sen-sa-tio-nal finale! I wouldn't have known on whom to put my money; David or the girl who won. Absolutely amazing cooks, both of them. And, I love the judging by Michel Roux Jr. What a professional!
I remember eating at the Roux Bros restaurants, many years ago - haven't been since Michel Jr took over. I also missed that series, I watched the first one and was amazed at how nervous and tentative some of the chefs were - so gave it a miss!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.