Black and White cookies

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by Pastry Chef Julie, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Pastry Chef Julie

Pastry Chef Julie

Exp:
    11 yrs
    I'm starting a new job Saturday and the owner wants black and white cookies. Anyone have a good recipe they are willing to share. I'm in Florida, no way to check out the New York product. Thanks for any help. Will trade one of my recipes if requested.
    Julie

chefbuba likes this.
  2. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    I've made them, and this is the recipe I used. They turned out nice, considering what they are. Personally,
    I don’t think they are anything to write home about, but people do like them. Really important not to overbake them, because they tend to be dry. I’ve included pics of the ones I made and a link to the recipe.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-and-white-cookies-106171

harpua and drirene like this.
  3. Pastry Chef Julie

Pastry Chef Julie

Exp:
    11 yrs
    Thanks chefpeon. But I was hoping someone would share a professional large batch recipe in oz or g.

4. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    It’s really easy to convert recipes up or down and it’s also easy to convert from volume to weight. You’ve never done that before? Shall I do it for you?

Perhaps you should edit your original post to specifically ask for a professional sized batch since there is zero indication of that in your original request.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    drirene and harpua like this.
  5. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    I’ve converted the linked recipe to grams because it’s the most accurate and I’ve quadrupled the original amounts:
    Cookies:
    625 grams ap flour
    9 1/3 grams baking soda (2 tsp)
    12 grams salt (2 tsp)
    326 grams buttermilk (1 1/3 cup)
    8.5 grams vanilla extract (2 tsp)
    300 grams butter
    400 grams sugar
    224 grams whole eggs (4 each)

Icing:
    720 grams powdered sugar
    85 1/3 grams corn syrup (1/4 cup)
    40.5 grams lemon juice (1/8 cup)
    4 grams vanilla extract (1 tsp)
    86 grams cocoa

Now that it’s been converted to weight, it’s easy to scale up or down.
    The original amounts have been quadrupled, so if you need a much larger batch, it’s a cinch to double it.

Better now? Also, perhaps you should brush up on your conversion skills. Any self respecting PC masters that skill early on.

FUN FACT: There are a lot of ingredient conversion tools on the web! I even have an ingredient conversion app on my phone!
    Here’s a link to one of them: https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/cooking/cooking-calculator.php

drirene and brianshaw like this.