Bizarre customer requests.

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by nicko, Oct 19, 2001.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Chefs, what is the strangest thing you have ever had a customer request?

2. thebighat

thebighat

Cervelles de veau aux beurre noire, served with Diet Coke

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, you can take your pick. it's either got to be the eight egg omelette without yolks, or the order of pork chops cooked well on the grill and then deep fried for 4 - 5 minutes, or even the cheeseburger topped with cottage cheese instead of cheddar, or the grilled cheese and tomato sandwich on raisin bread.

4. isa

isa

In Paris the French can not understand why American will drink coke with just about everything. Specially when you consider that wine is cheaper than coke...

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Well, when I was plating antipasti, I was asked to rinse all the dressings off of everthing, because the customer was a model who didn't want any oil or fat. But if I remember correctly, on her way out she stopped at the bakery counter for ... oh, never mind.

6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Strawberry omellette was one I seem to remember.

7. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Well-done ribeye.

Oh wait, the topic is "strange", not "criminal"..... ;)

8. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You're right Anneke, well done beef is criminal, except the health inspectors make us cook hamburgers well done.

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Not where I worked, but overheard at an adjacent table in our favourite Chinese restaurant. Two ladies trying to make a decision...

1) Sesame Chicken, please not deep fried and no sesame seeds. No oil, no onion, and steamed vegetables only... please.

2) I forget what this dish was supposed to be, but no msg, no oil, less soy sauce, steamed vegetables also please, no pea pods.

Guest 1 chimes in after this... no msg in mine too please.

Kuan:rolleyes:

10. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    coolj
    I think your talking about me. sesame bun, meduim done burger, pineapple cottage cheese, 1 thick slice vine ripe tomato, Man, the only thing better may be trying to sear that double porkchop before frying.
    panini

11. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Panini, that's a wierd coincidence. but it's kind of funny too.

12. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    not so much the strangest request, but a collection.

hmm,:

Scrambled eggs with 5 whites and 1 whole egg, no dairy.

Plate heated to the absolute limit, dont worry about the salad, put it on anyway.

Beef nachos no beef (what, pick out the minced beef, yeah right!)

Extra hot gumbo - bring it on! (umm, is 1/4 bottle of daves insanity sauce ok?)

Prawns no heads (i dont want my food looking at me!)

not quite thinking at the moment, but if i can think of any more.

13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    not so strange, but funny. We are in a very affluent part of town.
    At least once a week we'll have a customer request that :the brownies not all be cut the same size: Please break a few of the cookies: can you scrap off all of the fancy decorations on that cake and make it uneven: if I let those chocolate dipped strawberries sit in the car a while, will they look like the ones you do at home?
    The funny part is watching them in the car transfering the items onto their own serving plates. I had one just last week tell me, hey I'm really getting the hang of baking, I learned it's best to let the cake sit awhile, then it slides off the cardbord thing much easier and only messes up the cake a little.

I have one customer who brings in her own serving trays for her annual holiday party for 400, 200 each night. Nothing yellow, everyone knows she hates yellow. I basically throw the items on the plates. I arrive early, she and I have coffee while she sends the house person to retrieve the shaker we purchased together at the restaurant supply house. We fill the shaker with powdered sugar and she practices shaking and dusting in the sink with my guidance. She will do this just after her guest arrive, she is actually well known for her holiday treats! This year she has requested nothing that is done in the bakery, she recognizes my things at all her social functions and does not want to be exposed.
    I can't tell you my compensation for this, she calls it a little something for my 10 yr old sons education. Hey! I'm not proud, it pays for half a yrs. tuition! :lips: ;)

14. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The order that always gets to me is the realy extra large people who order the biggest thing on the menu and the beverage is a diet somthing .

15. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hey chefboy
    I resemble that comment!!!
    Where the H is the chubby icon?

16. isa

isa

Too Funny Panini !!

17. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chefboy, you mean like ordering a bacon double cheeseburger with fries, and a diet coke, 'cause i'm trying to lose weight' ?. Another order I just remembered, was a vegetarian sandwich with added turkey.

18. compassrose

compassrose

What's strange about ordering things without fat or oil, or five egg whites and one whole egg, no dairy? (I've seen cooks toss gobs of cream into their scrambled egg mixtures.) Sometimes you're eating out because you have to, not because you want to, and if you're trying to watch what you eat, and the menu offers nothing healthy, the best you can do is take components and put them together.

(My favourite brunch thing, at a place that offered spinach salad, is toast, no butter, one poached egg, and an order of spinach - no "salad." Assemble. I mean, I'm not going to stop gathering with my friends for Sunday brunch just because the other options on the menu are the Super Big Breakfast with sausage AND bacon AND ham, or the Five Pancake Stack.)

As for ordering salad, no dressing, and then a decadent dessert - well, the truth is, for some of us, it comes down to one OR the other. I've lost a hundred pounds, and one way I keep it off is by choosing EITHER a big meal OR a dessert - not stuffing in both, like most people. And yes, if I plan (and I do plan before I order) to have the Triple Chocolate Cheesecake, I will drink either Diet Coke or plain water with my meal.

Jeesh.

19. pollyg

pollyg

We can all sound a bit funny about food at times.
    coolJ's post about the vegetarian sandwich with turkey reminded me that one of my favourite pizzas is vegetarian with hot salami ( I like the extra veggies)
    Pol.

20. isa

isa

You make some good point Rose.