biz plan estimate

Joined Feb 11, 2017
okayso, I am biz planning a pizza kitchen in Texas. I have dug down into specific products, but wanted a real world estimate for approx. 400 sq ft space in a warehouse. (Think plumbing, vent, some electric, etc.) Looking for a ballpark for the whole dang project including equipment, shelving, sinks, et al. Thanks.

Joined Jan 19, 2014
okayso, I am biz planning a pizza kitchen in Texas. I have dug down into specific products, but wanted a real world estimate for approx. 400 sq ft space in a warehouse. (Think plumbing, vent, some electric, etc.) Looking for a ballpark for the whole dang project including equipment, shelving, sinks, et al. Thanks.
Honestly, if you can't put a basic "ballpark" estimate together yourself, you may want to consider doing something else. Not trying to be (too) snarky, but it's impossible to answer your question without knowing what kind of equipment you need, what kind of fixtures, leasehold improvements, furniture, menu, staffing, marketing, insurances,  etc. etc.  I will say, to build out a kitchen from scratch in a warehouse won't be cheap. And you should plan to have 3x whatever that number is to get started. A full 60 percent of new restaurants fail within the first year, and its usually due to bad locations and/or under-capitalization.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Well, lets see now, warehouse, eh? Is the floor structural slab, or slab on grade?

If its structural slab, its pretty easy to pop holes in for fixtures, like toilets, sinks, mop sinks, and especially ye olde greasse-trap. You just need to x-ray, then cut and core, pipe is suspended below. (which is hopefully a parking garage, not an office) With slab on grade, you gotta x-ray, cut, core, trench, lay pipe, and cement over.

Oh, building permits, you're gonna need them. Here in Vancouver, the wait time is 5 weeks, don't know what it is your municipality, but you need to factor in the rent while waiting for the permit, the time for renovations, and the time to get all inspections passed. This could be several months worth of rent that you have to pay before you can even start your business.

Hvac will be the biggest money drain. I'm not talking about the actual vent hood, thats just a s/s box you can pick up used. The vent shafts leading to and from the hood is the ecpensive part. Most, if not all municipalities require a mech. engineer's drawings specific to that location. Depending how far away and how many walls (and the materials of those walls) the shafts have to go through can be very expensive, any many municipalities require the make up air (if you remove air from your kitchen, you gotta replace it, or issue your employees with air tanks and masks).needs to be air conditioned as well as heated.

Then the health dept. is hard to figure out, but they should have a list of what to expect: how many pot sinks, prep sinks, handwash sinks mop sinks, AND pre rinse sinks you need, what size of hot water tank will be sufficient, and how many sq. ft. of dedicated dry storage space you will require.

So, short answer to your question is, it all depends. Those who can give you an accuarate figure are those with working experience with your municipality as well as the necessary contractors and engineers.

Hope this helps,

Top Bottom