Bitterness in stews

Joined Dec 21, 2021
Stews range in ingredients . Mostly vegetables. In fact no meat at all. I use various beans. OK this stew-soup ingredients I just made had onions I caramelized in my cast iron skillet then added cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, some boxed chicken stock, hoisin sauce, tumeric, ginger, soy, salt pepper, jalapeño pepper, I used avocado oil to saute the onions. I taste all the way through not detecting any bitterness til the end, I put in some Indian herbs curry leaves, Amchur, fenugreek leaves, paprika, oyster sauce, kalonji seeds, mushroom powder, basalmic vinegar..tomato paste......salt pepper. And lastly some Tempe for meatiness . It tasted really good except for the bitterness after taste.

Joined Jan 9, 2019
onions I caramelized in my cast iron skillet then added cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, some boxed chicken stock, hoisin sauce, tumeric, ginger, soy, salt pepper, jalapeño pepper, I used avocado oil to saute the onions. I taste all the way through not detecting any bitterness til the end, I put in some Indian herbs curry leaves, Amchur, fenugreek leaves, paprika, oyster sauce, kalonji seeds, mushroom powder, basalmic vinegar..tomato paste......salt pepper. And lastly some Tempe for meatiness .
..Might I suggest, with the plethora of said ingredients, a mild emetic digestif?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Imho you've got way to much going on in there. Cut back on the number of seasonings your adding. Then add one at time and taste until you find your culprit. I suspect you'd find a better tasting dish with fewer flavors against each other anyway.

Top Bottom